Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really cheaper to eat junk?

Posted by   + Show Post
I see this a lot on here, and I just read an argument on facebook that it is cheaper to eat junk than eat healthier foods. Her theory was based on what you can find,at dollar stores lol. Do you think its cheaper to eat healthy or eat junk?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM

It is cheaper in the short term to eat junk. But overall health wise it is more expensive. 

If you have always bought junk, then it is a sticker shock to switch over. 

Oostera
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

That depends on where you are. I live in Canada and our healthcare is universal. I'm paying for it now either way, lol.

It doesn't help to look into the future when you can't afford today.

Quoting wolfybaby:

nope. processed foods are expensive either way [organic tends to cost more though.. but processed/packaged isnt healthy regardless!]

the cost effectiveness of buying whole foods and unpackaged/bagged produce is superb. especially making your own breads. 

one argument i like to make is that, sure, junk food can be inexpensive and so much more convenient. but what you dont pay now, youll pay later in doctor visits and drugs for illnesses. 

ashley9603
by RunningMomma on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM

It is easier to buy junk,but I would rather spend more money on healthy foods.However we buy both some junk(25 percent junk)and the rest if healthy food.The budget balances out lol.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM

i could buy fresh ruit and veggies at my .99$ store if i get in there first thing n the morning. otherwise stuff is nasty. but buying healthy vs junk all depends on where  u live and shop. i find when i shop at hispanic stores i can get a lot of fruit and veggies cheap. i mean could u pass up 6 lbs of oranges for a dollar?  yes eating healthy can be more expensive, but worth it.

SaGe_Ed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

1 box of macaroni and cheese = $1.25 (adding in the price of the milk and margerine you have to add, the box itself is only about $.68)
1 package of hotdogs = $1

This will feed my kiddos for two lunches at least, more if they're not really hungry.  Compare that to the price of making mac n' cheese from scratch and adding fresh fruits and veggies and there's no contest.  It is cheaper to eat junk.  Maybe not things like candy and fast food, but it's definitely cheaper to eat the processed boxed/canned food than it is to eat fresh stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
It's always a shock to our wallet when we eat junk food. No way we could afford it full time, not to mention how horrible I feel after eating that stuff.
ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM

It can be cheaper to eat junk. It depends on how you shop. We buy healthy food in bulk, which is much cheaper. When we buy a bunch of processed garbage it never lasts the whole month. When I make a meal plan, make food from scratch, and buy as much as I can in bulk and in advance, we spend less and make it through the month with a full kitchen. We also keep track of when meat goes on sale at our local store deli so it's cheaper for us to buy fresh meat than it is to buy hot dogs and other yucky stuff. We still buy quite a bit of junk food for snacks that we eat in moderation (a plum for one snack, a couple of cookies for another sort of thing), and it did take me a while to figure out HOW to shop for healthy food without spending a bajillion dollars, but now that I do it's awesome. Then again, it also depends on the definition of healthy. We don't buy a ton of organic because it's so much more expensive and not regulated with clear perameters. If we did we'd spend a lot more.

lasombrs
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

With coupons and stores that double coupons matched with sales etc etc there are many foods you can get free or less then $1. But it is definetly not the healthiest for you

KristenandCaleb
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Healthy. We get LOADS of produce for only $20

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I cant worry about my health and my kids health in 20, 30, 40 years if I cant feed them now. I can make mac and cheese and hide veggies in it and tuna but the bleached pasta is cheaper than the whole wheat. Would it be better if I bought the whole wheat? of coarse but then my grocery bill would be higher.

Quoting Oostera:

That depends on where you are. I live in Canada and our healthcare is universal. I'm paying for it now either way, lol.

It doesn't help to look into the future when you can't afford today.

Quoting wolfybaby:

nope. processed foods are expensive either way [organic tends to cost more though.. but processed/packaged isnt healthy regardless!]

the cost effectiveness of buying whole foods and unpackaged/bagged produce is superb. especially making your own breads. 

one argument i like to make is that, sure, junk food can be inexpensive and so much more convenient. but what you dont pay now, youll pay later in doctor visits and drugs for illnesses. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured