Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it really cheaper to eat junk?

Posted by   + Show Post
I see this a lot on here, and I just read an argument on facebook that it is cheaper to eat junk than eat healthier foods. Her theory was based on what you can find,at dollar stores lol. Do you think its cheaper to eat healthy or eat junk?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Replies (121-129):
randomosityblog
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Oh neat! Thanks! :D I'm having fun in the "what does my refrigerator say about me" post here right now. :D

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

*pokes*

long time no type... i liked your page on fb <3

Quoting randomosityblog:

It is and it isn't. If you don't have time to cook from scratch then yes eating junk can be way cheaper.

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

So by your theory no one should eat sugar, any sugar ever, regardless of the other nutrition in the food because they will surely develop diabetes? You're a friggin moron.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, yes, it will. The only part of that which isn't great fodder for diabetes is the chicken and carrots.

By if you knew more about what is driving us towards diabetes, you would know that.

Btw, I had two family members die from
Diabetic complications before 50. I've done a lot of research.

Oatmeal and muffins = sugar.

Apple + peanut butter = fructose (a sugar). With peanut butter ( how much sugar in that)

Chicken and carrots .= ok

So, sorry, but you might want to understand the epidemic a little better:

And, yes, it is possible to make a pizza for less than $5.00. Do you think they lose money when they sell it to you?

Those our of season apples, well, you do realize that a fresh, in season apple grown in the US lasts about 3 weeks. Ever wonder how Walmart has apples now? Ever look at the pesticide policies in other countries or what it takes to keep an apple fresh for long enough for your kids to eat in March? Check it out sometime. It ain't pretty.

Quoting lovinmama411:

You have no idea what my kids eat aside from pizza, which is only at birthday parties or special times when we go out to eat. I find it funny you think you can judge what they will be like at 30 based on that. Maybe 1-2 times a month they actually eat pizza. So far today they've had oatmeal and muffins for breakfast, sliced apple with peanut butter for snack (thank you WALMART for the sale), and for dinner I have chicken and carrots in the crockpot and will be making boiled eggs and baked potatoes when it is closer to getting done. You may want to watch out, your ignorance is showing. I guess all that will give them diabetes too. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yres, diabetes over pizza. What is the nutritional value of that pizza? Fat and carbs. Vitamins: negligible:

And, since I buy flour and olive oil in bulk, the cost of the crust is negligible. And, since I can buy block cheese and stick pepperoni in bulk with a coop, those aren't all that expensive either. Not that I would. Pepperoni is vile.

You are using Walmart and feeding your kids fat, salt and carbs. Do you really think that comes with no consequence?

My bet is: diabetes by thirty for at least one in two kids. Do the research. It's horrifying, Or watch Food inc.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Diabetes over a pizza? wtf are you talking about? Is their pizza somehow less healthy than your cheap, canned pizza sauce and block of processed cheese? lol. You cannot make that pizza for $2, that's dumb. The pepperoni alone would cost that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Good luck managing their diabetes.

Btw, that same pizza costs $2.00 make. $3.50 if you add veggies.

Quoting lovinmama411:

I shop at either WalMart of Food City and a bag of shredded (half pound) is about 2.50. A block, half a pound, is only about 15 cents cheaper. And when you buy the bigger bags of shredded you get it even cheaper. Block or shredded it comes out about the same, I just looked. I would need more cheese than that anyway. And I would need at least 3/4 can of sauce for each pizza. If my kids like skimpy pizza I may be able to get off like that, but it would just be a waste for me. I could get a pizza they love hot and ready for $5. 

Quoting AprilDJC:

Bags of shredded cheese cost about 2x the amount of block cheese. Yes 1lb nlock, shredded will make 4 pizzas if you dont overload on cheese. We usually use 1/4-1/2 cup of sauce per pizza depending. One kid likes less sauce the others like more. You can also use the hunts $1 canned pasta sauce as pizza sauce, its a much bigger can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Yes, it's more expensive

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM

If you're BUYING organic, sure it's more expensive to eat healthy. If you're buying your food in bulk, growing a garden, canning/freezing/dehydrating, raising your own meat (or buying from local butchershop) and spending many hours in the kitchen ... it's cheaper.

I feed a family of four on $50 a week and although we're not super health nuts; we are almost completely free of any processed foods. It can be done, but it's time consuming.

daughteroftruth
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I think it can be cheaper to eat healthier, but it takes more time.  I cook a lot of food from scratch, and it takes quite a bit of time and planning and work.  Now, I do it because I am a sahm, and I have no excuse not too... but I can see where it would be much harder for families with two working parents, or a single parent. 

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I've heard this argument too...but if I hand the family a$3 bag of chips, it's gone in one setting-and nobody is full or feels good. $3 worth of fruit lasts longer and is better for you.  

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

In my experience it's much more expensive to eat healthy. But according to people on here, apparently that's just because I don't know how to cook or something. lol

Blessedlife79
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Yes it is. Veggies, fruit, and meat cost a ton. It's the majority of my food budget each week!

debmom07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Some what yes. The pantry I work for gets day old produce donated. Sometimes we get soooo much cuz ppl don't want to spend the high prices for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)