Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it really cheaper to eat junk?

Posted by   + Show Post
I see this a lot on here, and I just read an argument on facebook that it is cheaper to eat junk than eat healthier foods. Her theory was based on what you can find,at dollar stores lol. Do you think its cheaper to eat healthy or eat junk?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Eating healthy isnt just fruits and veggies though. To me, cooking from scratch is healthier (you know what's in it and are in charge of sodium, etc) and cheaper (you usually end up with more for your money, etc. )

To me a nice home cooked meal can be healthy...not to mention you end up with leftovers to either stretch or turn into a different meal. 

Making scalloped potatoes from scratch for instance...yeah maybe not healthy in general...but more healthy than a boxed version. (and what exactly is IN that powdered sauce stuff anyway?) 

Even a boxed cake mix....look at the ingredients on it and them make one homemade. I'll take homemade anyday.  Not to mention it tastes way better. And I always have flour, sugar, cocoa, levening agents, etc in my pantry. (I dont see why most people wouldnt)

For US it's cheaper and healthier to eat homemade vs. "junk".  And like I said, eating healthy doesnt necessarily mean eating like a rabbit.  We feel way better eating the way we do than eating boxed meals, frozen dinners, snack cakes, frozen pizzas, etc. Because back in the day we DID eat a lot of that junk.

If we want "junk", I make it myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I rhink its more expensive to eat unhealthy processed foods. I mean, it all comes down to what is a priority for you. You don't *need* most of that stuff. Even so, you can get a pack of organic noodles at Kroger for $.99 which is I think the same price as they charge for the other crap. Neither choice is really good for you, though.
Val99
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It's not more expensive to eat healthy.  They proved that in one episode of The Biggest Loser where they were taught what to buy.   What is expensive are American size portions.  Start looking at what a real portion size is and go by that.

Quoting AprilDJC:

I see this a lot on here, and I just read an argument on facebook that it is cheaper to eat junk than eat healthier foods. Her theory was based on what you can find,at dollar stores lol. Do you think its cheaper to eat healthy or eat junk?

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Unless you are going organic I find it much more expensive to buy the junk. $25 can buy me fruit and vejjies galore for a week, but spend tgat $25 on processed junk and it lasts 2 days and I feel like crap.
_ClearFruit_
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM
yes
wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

i know its hard to budget long-term if youre living paycheck to paycheck..trust me, im there. :P but the way i see it.. your health is the single most important thing in your life. without it, youre either ill to the point of unfuntioning, or dead.

also, its pretty easy to balance the scale.. instead of forgoing gmo, msg doritos and getting the ridiculously expensive organic version.. stop eating chips altogether! eat a salad instead. that kind of diet makeover takes a lot of willpower, but its the ultimate way to stay healthy *and* save money [on food and health care]. 

Quoting Oostera:

That depends on where you are. I live in Canada and our healthcare is universal. I'm paying for it now either way, lol.

It doesn't help to look into the future when you can't afford today.

Quoting wolfybaby:

nope. processed foods are expensive either way [organic tends to cost more though.. but processed/packaged isnt healthy regardless!]

the cost effectiveness of buying whole foods and unpackaged/bagged produce is superb. especially making your own breads. 

one argument i like to make is that, sure, junk food can be inexpensive and so much more convenient. but what you dont pay now, youll pay later in doctor visits and drugs for illnesses. 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM
It's not. When comparing prices, you have to look at the yield. It is cheaper to eat healthy. Those who it isn't don't know how to shop and eat.
Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
It is really easy to have a small garden and grow some veggies and fruit to supplement your grocery budget. It is also cheap to buy into CSAs and farmers markets. Buying healthy doesn't have to break your bank and at the eand of the day it is worth every single cent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mami2my3rugratz
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Cheaper to eat junk but costly healthwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

idk but i spent $26 on produce yesterday. came home with 4 big bags.. too much to fit in my two produce drawers by far. that seems affordable to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN