Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it really cheaper to eat junk?

Posted by   + Show Post
I see this a lot on here, and I just read an argument on facebook that it is cheaper to eat junk than eat healthier foods. Her theory was based on what you can find,at dollar stores lol. Do you think its cheaper to eat healthy or eat junk?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
delilahsmom1177
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

It depends on where you shop. I can get freash fruits and veggies cheap at the farmers market.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

AprilDJC
In any given week I spend $125-150 to feed 4 (me, 2 teen boys, 8 yr dd). I work 3-4 days a week, and have 30 hours of college work per week. I cook from scratch though because its what we prefer. we eat ground turkey ($8 for 3lb at heb), lean beef roasts (1 roast makes 2 meals), I cook a whole chicken and use it for 2 meals, and if I have time, I make homemade rolls and biscuits. We buy potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, salad greens, tomatoes, apples, oranges, bananas, and melon every week. Grains like rice and hot cereals afe cheap and filling, cheaper than cold sugar cereal and poptarts. Eggs are a great breakfast and cheap. Homemade desserts can be very cheap too. I guess I just dont understand the thought process, or maybe I just couldnt eat ramen that much lol. Not condemning anyone for how they eat, just trying to understand and see if this is the popular opinion.,
EvilAsh

It's cheaper, but you can get cheap frozen veggies and fruits. Being broke isn't a good excuse to eat shit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Yes and no.  I think it's really easy to buy a lot of prepackaged goods at low prices and feel like you have a full grocery cart vs buying good cuts of meat and vegetables.  Dollar for dollar it looks like you bought a lot less in quantity for the healthy stuff but nutritionally what it does for you, the healthier choices go further.

jojo_star
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

In the short term, yes, because the food itself is cheaper, but in the long run, with all the added cost of bigger clothes, medications, and drs visits to take care of your high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc, no, eating junk is not cheaper. 

LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
If you are dedicated to eating healthy you can do it on the same budget.

People just use it as an excuse.
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I don't think so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorial58
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

WAY cheaper to eat junk.  You can go to a outdated bread store and get bread and bagels and donuts for half price since they're over the "sell by" date.  You can get chips for a third of the price that you can buy potatoes for.  Meat?  Oh yeah, pardon me while I laugh.  You can't even buy what used to be cheap spam or tuna for cheap anymore.  Now I could take a group of women and teach them to can and they could live cheaper on real food and that's something I'd LOVE to do but I'm out in the middle of nowhere where no one can find me so that idea goes down the toilet.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Junk food doesn't fill you up so you tend to eat more of it so in the end it isn't cheaper. Its why when I was a kid we ran out of food within a week. It was all frozen pizzas and just plain junk that never really satisfied.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Actually I bet if you broke down ing cost for homemade and divide by yield you are better off homemade. cheese sauce can be made in about 10 min. Mix with noodles and done.

Quoting SaGe_Ed:

1 box of macaroni and cheese = $1.25 (adding in the price of the milk and margerine you have to add, the box itself is only about $.68)
1 package of hotdogs = $1

This will feed my kiddos for two lunches at least, more if they're not really hungry.  Compare that to the price of making mac n' cheese from scratch and adding fresh fruits and veggies and there's no contest.  It is cheaper to eat junk.  Maybe not things like candy and fast food, but it's definitely cheaper to eat the processed boxed/canned food than it is to eat fresh stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)