Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it really cheaper to eat junk?

Posted by   + Show Post
I see this a lot on here, and I just read an argument on facebook that it is cheaper to eat junk than eat healthier foods. Her theory was based on what you can find,at dollar stores lol. Do you think its cheaper to eat healthy or eat junk?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I know that you pay tax on most packaged/processed foods, but not on produce.  I'm sure that adds up.  I find eating healthy is cheaper, but I find that there is a lot of waste. (going rotten, etc.)  And that part sucks.

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

When you have a very small amount of money to get groceries, it is cheaper to get the crap. It is less healthy but more filling at will last longer. I can get enough food to last a week for about 50-60 but it is a lot of crap. Ramen noodles, cheap nasty hot dogs, cheap nasty hamburger meat, kool aid to drink. If I wanted healthy stuff like fruit, 5-6 bucks for a bag of apples or oranges. I can get a few things cheap that are healthy, such as bananas and cheap brand cheerios, but it is limiting. Fish is sky high, fresh veggies such as carrots and broccoli aren't too expensive, but they don't last long before going bad. On the other hand I can get canned veggies for 39 cents a can that will last a long time. So yea, overall, I cannot get really healthy food like I would like to buy when I am on a very tight budget. Unless I want to run out of food in a couple days or eat rotting veggies. 

AprilDJC
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
this is EXACTLY how I feel! It may not be organic produce and super lean meats and all but homemade is so much healthier than processed, and to me, cheaper. For the $10 I would spend on 2 pizzas frozen, I could get stuff to make 4 homemade lol.

Quoting auntietotty:

Eating healthy isnt just fruits and veggies though. To me, cooking from scratch is healthier (you know what's in it and are in charge of sodium, etc) and cheaper (you usually end up with more for your money, etc. )

To me a nice home cooked meal can be healthy...not to mention you end up with leftovers to either stretch or turn into a different meal. 

Making scalloped potatoes from scratch for instance...yeah maybe not healthy in general...but more healthy than a boxed version. (and what exactly is IN that powdered sauce stuff anyway?) 

Even a boxed cake mix....look at the ingredients on it and them make one homemade. I'll take homemade anyday.  Not to mention it tastes way better. And I always have flour, sugar, cocoa, levening agents, etc in my pantry. (I dont see why most people wouldnt)

For US it's cheaper and healthier to eat homemade vs. "junk".  And like I said, eating healthy doesnt necessarily mean eating like a rabbit.  We feel way better eating the way we do than eating boxed meals, frozen dinners, snack cakes, frozen pizzas, etc. Because back in the day we DID eat a lot of that junk.

If we want "junk", I make it myself.

TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM

It depends on what and how you eat.  Cooking from scratch over eating all convenience food is definitely cheaper though.  Cooking from scratch makes it easier to eat healthier.

AprilDJC
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Its a tiny bit more expensive, nut the big bags of frozen veggies are a lot healthier than camned and last longer than fresh. Not condemning, I understand that situation, just a suggestion.

Quoting lovinmama411:

When you have a very small amount of money to get groceries, it is cheaper to get the crap. It is less healthy but more filling at will last longer. I can get enough food to last a week for about 50-60 but it is a lot of crap. Ramen noodles, cheap nasty hot dogs, cheap nasty hamburger meat, kool aid to drink. If I wanted healthy stuff like fruit, 5-6 bucks for a bag of apples or oranges. I can get a few things cheap that are healthy, such as bananas and cheap brand cheerios, but it is limiting. Fish is sky high, fresh veggies such as carrots and broccoli aren't too expensive, but they don't last long before going bad. On the other hand I can get canned veggies for 39 cents a can that will last a long time. So yea, overall, I cannot get really healthy food like I would like to buy when I am on a very tight budget. Unless I want to run out of food in a couple days or eat rotting veggies. 

SaGe_Ed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

A 1lb box of elbow macaroni itself costs $1.09.  The cheese is not cheap, about $2 for enough to make a scant cheese sauce.  And it makes just as much as a box of the stuff with powdered cheese in about the same amount of time (unless you bake the homemade, then it takes longer).  So for the extra money I will have spent making the homemade mac n' cheese I can buy a package of hot dogs and serve that up with lunch too.  I actually have done the math.  I would prefer to make homemade, it tastes better, but it's not feasible with our budget.  It's the same way whole wheat bread is about $3.24 a loaf, but I can get a loaf of white bread for $1 or less depending on the sales going on.  Sometimes it really is cheaper to eat junk.

Quoting Kermitthemom23:

Actually I bet if you broke down ing cost for homemade and divide by yield you are better off homemade. cheese sauce can be made in about 10 min. Mix with noodles and done.

Quoting SaGe_Ed:

1 box of macaroni and cheese = $1.25 (adding in the price of the milk and margerine you have to add, the box itself is only about $.68)
1 package of hotdogs = $1

This will feed my kiddos for two lunches at least, more if they're not really hungry.  Compare that to the price of making mac n' cheese from scratch and adding fresh fruits and veggies and there's no contest.  It is cheaper to eat junk.  Maybe not things like candy and fast food, but it's definitely cheaper to eat the processed boxed/canned food than it is to eat fresh stuff.

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yea, I do buy those too sometimes. My youngest loves broccoli, they have those huge bags with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots for 6 or 7 dollars. If I am not on a really tight budgt I will buy the frozen instead. And I do buy the fresh, just not something I can keep stocked. I will use the fresh first, like carrots, then later in the week when we start to run low I will use the canned. If you only have about 50 dollars it's just hard to spend the 6 or 7 out of it on one bag of veggies when I can spend 2 dollars and get enough for the week. It all depends I guess. I do by the healthier in things that are the same price either way, like wheat or whole grain bread instead of white and oatmeal instead of cereal. Oatmeal is one of my favorites, it is cheap, healthy, AND filling.

Quoting AprilDJC:

Its a tiny bit more expensive, nut the big bags of frozen veggies are a lot healthier than camned and last longer than fresh. Not condemning, I understand that situation, just a suggestion.

Quoting lovinmama411:

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Seriously curious on how you can get enough stuff to make 4 homemade pizzas with 10 bucks? The cheese alone would take up half that. Then the crust, pizza sauce, pepperoni (which are $3 here for enough to maybe make 2 pizzas) and veggies. I really want to know because I would totally do this if I could get the stuff for 4 pizzas for ten dollars, my kids love pizza.

Quoting AprilDJC:

this is EXACTLY how I feel! It may not be organic produce and super lean meats and all but homemade is so much healthier than processed, and to me, cheaper. For the $10 I would spend on 2 pizzas frozen, I could get stuff to make 4 homemade lol.

Quoting auntietotty:

Eating healthy isnt just fruits and veggies though. To me, cooking from scratch is healthier (you know what's in it and are in charge of sodium, etc) and cheaper (you usually end up with more for your money, etc. )

To me a nice home cooked meal can be healthy...not to mention you end up with leftovers to either stretch or turn into a different meal. 

Making scalloped potatoes from scratch for instance...yeah maybe not healthy in general...but more healthy than a boxed version. (and what exactly is IN that powdered sauce stuff anyway?) 

Even a boxed cake mix....look at the ingredients on it and them make one homemade. I'll take homemade anyday.  Not to mention it tastes way better. And I always have flour, sugar, cocoa, levening agents, etc in my pantry. (I dont see why most people wouldnt)

For US it's cheaper and healthier to eat homemade vs. "junk".  And like I said, eating healthy doesnt necessarily mean eating like a rabbit.  We feel way better eating the way we do than eating boxed meals, frozen dinners, snack cakes, frozen pizzas, etc. Because back in the day we DID eat a lot of that junk.

If we want "junk", I make it myself.

AprilDJC
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Oatmeal muffins are great for breakfasts and snacks, and healthy. I think I got the recipe from allrecipes.com, you should check it out if your kids like muffins :)

Quoting lovinmama411:

Yea, I do buy those too sometimes. My youngest loves broccoli, they have those huge bags with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots for 6 or 7 dollars. If I am not on a really tight budgt I will buy the frozen instead. And I do buy the fresh, just not something I can keep stocked. I will use the fresh first, like carrots, then later in the week when we start to run low I will use the canned. If you only have about 50 dollars it's just hard to spend the 6 or 7 out of it on one bag of veggies when I can spend 2 dollars and get enough for the week. It all depends I guess. I do by the healthier in things that are the same price either way, like wheat or whole grain bread instead of white and oatmeal instead of cereal. Oatmeal is one of my favorites, it is cheap, healthy, AND filling.

Quoting AprilDJC:

Quoting lovinmama411:

our.love.story
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I think ir depends where you live, time of year, and how extreme. I eat healthy for the most part as I'm trying to lose weight...but I don't usually eat much in the way of organic right now because of price and even availability. Overall if I look at even one meal I make for myself, like this morning's breakfast, I had 2 eggs, 3 turkey sausage links, a stick of string cheese, some strawberries and some blackberries, I spent way less and got way more than I would getting breakfast at Burger King or something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)