Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need some help making a decision, please.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
I am 55 and have 4 grown kids with careers of their own. I adopted a preschooler. A couple months ago I was diagnosed with a genetic eye disease that may cause blindness. I say MAY because it progresses quite differently from person to person. It could change so slowly that if I lived to be 120 I could still have most of my vision. (lol, maybe 125?) They did a baseline image to track progression from one year to the next. I don't know of anyone else in the family who has it. I have not told the kids because I don't want them to feel sorry for me, worry unnecessarily or make plans to come take care of me. It is nothing that can be changed by diet or exercise so I am not depriving them of the possibility of reducing the likelihood of them having it. Should I tell them? Why? Why not? WWYD? Thanks...
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mommy2b2many
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I would let them know; but not dwell on it with them. Just tell them and answer their questions. Don't make a huge deal of it. But that's because i'd like to know if that was happening to my parents. But do what you feel is best. If its fast progressing that they should know for sure. If its slow progressing then it may not be that big of a deal for you to tell them. Good luck and I hope its extremely slow progressing!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

I would let them know; but not dwell on it with them. Just tell them and answer their questions. Don't make a huge deal of it. But that's because i'd like to know if that was happening to my parents. But do what you feel is best. If its fast progressing that they should know for sure. If its slow progressing then it may not be that big of a deal for you to tell them. Good luck and I hope its extremely slow progressing!

Hm. Maybe I will wait for the next checkup to get an idea of the rate of progression before I tell them. That way I would be able to have a better idea of what's going on.   Thank you very much. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I would tell your kids. YOU would want them to tell you if something was wrong with them...right????

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM

um, true........ good point

Quoting Sassy762:

I would tell your kids. YOU would want themn to tell you if something was wrong with them...right????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)