Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this safe?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

I work nights. Today at 11 AM (after I had been home and asleep for 2 hours) I went downstairs to get a drink. My 17 year old and 14 year old were still sleeping but my two 11 year olds were watching my 15 month old while my DH went to the store. I yelled at DH because I didn't think it was safe for my 11 year olds to be watching my 15 month old. My 11 year olds told me they know to not let her out of their sight (we have baby gates everywhere) and they know to not give her anything to eat (in case of choking). I was telling this to my mom and my mom reminded me I was baby sitting all alone for a neighbor's child when I was the same age as my twins. I realize this depends on the maturity of the child/ren but overall what is your opinion? Is it safe to leave two 11 year olds home to watch a 15 month old for 30 minutes during the day when a parent is upstairs sleeping?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Unless you have delinquent 11 year olds I think that is fine. They could have woken you up if needed
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I don't see a problem with it.

CafeMom Tickers
Roo1234
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I think it was a perfectly reasonably choice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
areyouatroll
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I would say yes if they are mature kids. If they are brats then of course not. The babysitters club had 11 yr olds and 13 yr olds lol
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM

It depends on state laws of whats considered is old enough. Oregon its 12, Montana is 10 and so on

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I personally wouldn't do it NOT because they may not be able to handle the situation BUT what IF something bad really happened.....they would have to live with the guilt for the rest of their life

misskriss10
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I don't see a problem with it. It seems like they knew the basics and you were there if they needed help. 

MojoRising
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM
What is your state law? While safety is the most important, it may be illegal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I think it was fine because you had older kids in the house sleeping. If I read that right. They could have woken up the 17 year old if somthing happened. I think it's fine for a quick store run depending on where you live & if the 11 year old knows appropriate times to call 911. I was baby sitting at that age.

Cheeks09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM

ive seen MUCH younger watch younger Lol... (sad) but i think an 11 year old "gots this" :o)  i would not freak out but i dont think ur SO should be sleeping either...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)