Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this safe?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I work nights. Today at 11 AM (after I had been home and asleep for 2 hours) I went downstairs to get a drink. My 17 year old and 14 year old were still sleeping but my two 11 year olds were watching my 15 month old while my DH went to the store. I yelled at DH because I didn't think it was safe for my 11 year olds to be watching my 15 month old. My 11 year olds told me they know to not let her out of their sight (we have baby gates everywhere) and they know to not give her anything to eat (in case of choking). I was telling this to my mom and my mom reminded me I was baby sitting all alone for a neighbor's child when I was the same age as my twins. I realize this depends on the maturity of the child/ren but overall what is your opinion? Is it safe to leave two 11 year olds home to watch a 15 month old for 30 minutes during the day when a parent is upstairs sleeping?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
elites2012
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM

safe if you have taught the 11 yr old how to take care of the 1 yr old.  my 9 and 7 yr olds take care of the 11 month on when i need an hr of sleep.  i think its all about trust.

MommyChance
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM
A little! Ha!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

The OP was also there sleeping, if I read it correctly.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it was fine because you had older kids in the house sleeping. If I read that right. They could have woken up the 17 year old if somthing happened. I think it's fine for a quick store run depending on where you live & if the 11 year old knows appropriate times to call 911. I was baby sitting at that age.

I was thinking that too after I hit reply. lol.  It was written kind of confusing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ElleLuvsOrchids
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM

It seems questionable.  I probably wouldn't do it.

Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. this is probably my favorite family picture ever.
I hate to admit it but the baby dressed as Jack-Jack will be turning 8 years old tomorrow.

Quoting Cheeks09:

omg..so off topic but i LOVE ur profile pic..thats freaking sweet!! im guna have 2 girls next halloween and i wana do a theme. just gotta find the perfect one for us!! CUTEE!!!! :o)  

Quoting Roo1234:

I think it was a perfectly reasonably choice

Nickie76
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM
If it works in your family then do it. We can't answer either way. We don't know your eleven yr. olds.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

The OP was also there sleeping, if I read it correctly.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it was fine because you had older kids in the house sleeping. If I read that right. They could have woken up the 17 year old if somthing happened. I think it's fine for a quick store run depending on where you live & if the 11 year old knows appropriate times to call 911. I was baby sitting at that age.

I was thinking that too after I hit reply. lol.  It was written kind of confusing.

Sorry! LOL I thought I explained it well enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Yes, unless your 11 yr olds are way immature.

cshepard
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM
I would. You and your older kids were there too so I think it's fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Well. I work nights. So I get it. Sounds like your 11 yr olds know what to do and it should be fine. I mean you're right upstairs and as long as they're not horrible kids is say get some sleep.
Jade_Lufercus
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

When I was three my then 14 year old sister was watching me(My mother was oblivious yacking it up with a neighbor). We lived very close to a busy intersection and I ran after a ball almost into traffic. She yanked me back by my arm so hard that my shoulder became dislocated. So yeah, I'd say that as long as your kids are responsible I'd see no problem with it. I was being left alone at home by myself when I was 7, never had a thing happen to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN