Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How did You know Your Child was normal or not?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

is it something you knew or did someone have to point it out to you?  as in hey, your kid isn't doing this or that, i think something is wrong...

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I knew something was "off" so I talked to teachers and had them keep a closer eye on him and tell me if they noticed it too, then I spoke to his Dr. With my youngest I knew immediately but he didn't get a diagnosis until he was almost 4 months old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Tonya on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM

He's my kid....of course he's not normal!

lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My SOs cousin had a little boy with something wrong with him.  We thought it was austism but I'm not sure what they finally figured out.  Our DD is nearly a year younger than him.  The first time they met she was 1 and a half and she was so far above him.  The whole time he just layed on his belly and chewed on toys.  They didn't seem to think there was a problem.  He was weird though--he could spin a ball.  He would just do it repeatedly.  Just spin it really fast in it's place.  They finally got him help but I feel bad.  If they would have just admitted something was wrong in the first place he might not be facing so many challenges.  Its always better to intercept issues as soon as possible.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

NORMAL next to KID?!  What an oxymoron!! haha

But no, I get what you mean...

I've had no red flags with my kiddo.. I hope I never do..

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

inspain
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

You'd have to be blind or in denial to miss most things.  I knew DD1 was ahead of the curve in a lot of ways, just like I quickly figured out she had some OCD behaviors and some sensory issues.  ADD was pretty obvious by age 3.  DD2 is 5 months and I know she's a bit smaller than average and is also ahead in milestones.  I know she's super-clingy and I know she'll probably be more of an extrovert than DD1.  She also never naps.  I shudder to think what the toddler years will be like with this one.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I think for most things, I just looked up milestones to see where he was and where he should be, and then real concerns I had, I brought up with his doctor. So, for example, he is 2.5, and we did his 2 year check up late.  I was concerned about his pronunciation and asked him where he should be at with regard to clarity.  He assured me that sentence formation was more important, and at 3.5 kids should be 75% understandable to non-parenting adults. So, that helped me a ton. 

Quoting Anonymous:

im just curious how other parents handle the situation..i personally don't have a problem. 

Quoting Shermy:

You can speak with your doctor, ask people you are friends with who have children the same age (take this with a grain of salt), and look up milestones for that age group online . 

How old is your kiddo?  Are you concerned about something or just curious?

My son is a weirdo......just because he is.  He is a huge 2 year old goof ball.  He gets mad when you call Orcas "killer whales", his favorite animal is an Okapi and he sleeps with two stuffed ones. He calls us "Mama Kitty" "Dada Kitty" and "Wessy Kitty" and   then purrs as he hugs us.  He potty trained himself at 14 months old, and asks for quiona. Dude is just weird. 

Quoting Anonymous:

meeting general milestones in time and displays behavior within the norm considered for the age of said child...now explain what you mean by your child is a 'weirdo'

Quoting Shermy:

Can you explain what you mean by normal? My two year old is a weirdo, and no one needs to tell us that :)

We love our weirdo

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM
My son is severely autistic an I had no idea that there was ever anything wrong with him until his daycare kicked him out and told me to get him tested. I was f**king livid that they'd think something was wrong with him, so I talked to our family doctor and he told me that I should just go through with the testing because it was free and if something was wrong, early interventions could be put into place. Anyways, I went through with it, mostly so i could prove the day care people wrong..and after talking to the psychologist after his diagnosis I realized that he did have some of the warning signs, even when he was very very small.. But hey, I still treat him like I treat every other kid. He's doing great, he's just looks like he has a very quirky and odd personality to outsiders.. Also, my son met all of his milestones on time. He's never been delayed in anything major, other than some of the social norms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1likeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM
With my oldest it did not occur to me that he had anything out of the ordinary going on until he hit kindergarten. He was always a well behaved child a bit cautious about things and a slow learner but I had no clue how far behind he was from his peers. It was a big shock for me.
firefly63701
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Thats my ds, even on medication hes very spirited. lol

Quoting Sassy762:

My last child was so damn "HYPER" he made "hyperactivity" look like it was standing still.....literally

rockin2_manyMOM
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM
My kids arent normal. But I always knew they would be odd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)