Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How did You know Your Child was normal or not?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

is it something you knew or did someone have to point it out to you?  as in hey, your kid isn't doing this or that, i think something is wrong...

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
Razor_Leaf
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I knew when my son was in Kindergarten.  I got calls every day because he would hide under the teachers desk and not come out because it was too loud.

Charliesmommy11
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM
It's hard to miss he's never been a typically developing kid. We were prepared before hand and knew some of what to look for though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM
My oldest was found out through E.I. visiting his younger brother.

My second didn't pass his birth hearing test.

My third from the home nurse visiting his little sister.

My fourth from her doctor.

All have different problems that I really don't see anything but uniqueness. I can handle each of them just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Not to be a bitch but
"nor·mal
/ˈnôrməl/
Adjective
Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
Noun
The usual, average, or typical state or condition.
Synonyms
adjective. regular - standard - ordinary - common - usual
noun. normality - normalcy - perpendicular"

Having autisim under the definition of normal makes him not "normal"
Its not a bad thing not to be not normal but you can't lie. We are all not normal in some ways and that doesn't make some of us bad or some if us good it just means we are a minority in a statistic. We should embrace our differences and take the stigma away we have on the word normal.

Quoting fairyjester:

well he is my child so there is now way he could be normal, he does have autism but that has nothing to do with him not being normal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM
From the very beginning. She was a difficult baby, toddler, preschooler and now. She is textbook ADHD. Super sweet kid but impulsive impulsive impulsive.
Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:32 AM
My 5 year old is "normal" he listens. Met every milestone early etc. He has taken after mommy tthough. Since I'm a big geeky nerd. I love science and science fiction. He knows lots of facts some adults think are "random" lol

My 2 year old on the other hand keeps me alert and will for sure give me gray hair early. He is a fireball. He met milestones early besides talking. He will be 3 in August and has just recently started talking non stop. He is my little dare devil. When he was one he could climb on counters open doors. Climb EVERYTHING. He has his own quirky way of doing things. Always has. I would never picture him or want him"normal"
Freela
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I always assumed my oldest was 'normal' (if sometimes challenging and easily freaked out by things!) I hadn't had a lot of exposure to kids, so he was pretty much what I had to go on. Once I had my second child, I realized that not every child was as frantic about light/sound/wind/tags in clothes/etc as he was. It turns out that he has a sensory processing disorder. It makes everything else make sense in retrospect- why he was so hard to settle, had sleep issues, had colic, was easily overstimulated, etc. Once he could talk and could tell us what was bothering him, it got much more obvious that he was bothered by things in the environment that we weren't even noticing... he was the kid who kept saying, "Do you hear that? What is that noise? Turn it off!" all the time... turns out it was that buzz you sometimes get from fluorescent bulbs when they warm up. I never even noticed it, it was driving him nuts!

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM

What is normal?

I have a typical child. I have a child who is not typical. There is no such thing as normal.

My son has autism and we knew from his lack of speech and social skills something was up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:44 AM
He wasn't meeting his milestones, so the Dr referred him to EI. Before he was diagnosed, I thought he was "normal", even though it was really obvious. Looking back I realize that I made excuses for him being different, like he's really tired or he doesn't feel well.
kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Violence from a child who is barely two is a pretty good indicator. She broke my nose and blacked both my eyes before the pediatrician, nurse, and I could restrain her.

DS is nonverbal at 3. And is behind everywhere else too. That was also a good indicator.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)