Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How did You know Your Child was normal or not?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

is it something you knew or did someone have to point it out to you?  as in hey, your kid isn't doing this or that, i think something is wrong...

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
firefly63701
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I remember when ds was a baby and thinking he was going to sleep through the night any day now.  It didnt happen until he was 10 and he had to be put on meds to do it.  He was talking in complete sentences at 18m. He was also vey hype so hyper that it was all we could concentrate on and missed the other red flags.  When he was 4 we went to a new pedi for his hyperactivity and he thought he had something going on neurologically but he wouldnt tell me what just referred us to a local college for testing.  It wasnt till after he started kindegarten that we had an autism rx and no surprize also adhd.

want10more
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM

i was lucky in that the 'good' stuff showed up early and the 'bad' stuff later. but sometimes i can see things in other's children that just don't sit quite right. like, too-clumsy or spastic movements, blank stares that go on too long, certain repetitive movements, accelerated startle response, easy stuff like that. and i guess i've never been an alarmist w/ my kids, but neither have i been too shy to have them checked out whenever i felt something was a little 'off', you know?

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM
My DD was not sitting up by 9 months old. So her Dr referred her to early intervention to be evaluated.

Turns out she has a genetic disorder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM
My kid came out of me, right? She has no chance of being normal. She already pretends to be a cat most of the time and insists on being called kitten. She's only two!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:17 AM

mine was like that too!!!  STill is, at 18

Quoting HistoryNutty:

My kid came out of me, right? She has no chance of being normal. She already pretends to be a cat most of the time and insists on being called kitten. She's only two!

SadeAyosmom
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:22 AM

well as they grew they met all their social and medical milestones. I havent had any behavioural or medical issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:30 AM
There is no such thing as nomal. Normal is a setting on my washer. I have 2 typical children and one who is not.
DKSReese
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM

My ds1 met all of his milestones as a baby / toddler except one... talking.  He wouldn't talk... most times he wouldn't even try.  He had this caveman communication... point and grunt.  At 18 months I talked with the doc and he said boys develop later and give him another 6 months.  At 2, the doc said the same thing... wait 6 more months.  I waited 2, then went back in and made the doc listen to every concern I had.  Doc referred us to a speech therapist.  After the initial evaluation, he tested at a 13 month speech level (he was 26 months). With speech therapy, he still only had a vocab of 10-15 words by age three.  When he did speak, it was hard to understand.  I became his interpreter.  Once he started school, I realized that he also had a reading delay.  He is brilliant in math and science... above grade level.  But his reading and writing skills are two grade levels below.  He gets extra help in school, has an AMAZING language arts / reading teacher, and has made a lot of progress.

With ds2, I mainly watched for speech delays with him too.  I realized very early that speech wouldn't be a problem with him.  He made all kinds of noises and spoke very well.  He repeated everything he heard... I called him my little mockingbird.  I never noticed anything unusual about his behavior at all to be honest ... in fact, I understood him very well....  the need to play alone most times and not be bothered, a love for books and learning, the irratations that clothing brings,ect... I understood because he was just like me.  It was his preschool teacher that brought the word autism to my attention.  She had worked with autistic kids before and was aware of what to look for.  So I had him tested ... the diagnosis was moderate autism.  He is an extremely bright boy with a love of anything that spins (Beyblades are the current obsession), he has a remarkable memory, makes great grades in school and loves to laugh.  But (just like his mom), he has a very hard time with social situation... no eye contact, "hello" and "how are you?" sound very scripted, can't follow through with conversations, speaking only about his intrests.  He has a ways to go in that area but we are working on it together.

Pink.Sunshine
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I'm not normal. I don't expect my kids to be.
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM
When he was 13 months the Dr recommended early intervention to me. They saw him at 18 months and started therapy soon after. He is 7 now and high functioning Autistic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)