Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How did You know Your Child was normal or not?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

is it something you knew or did someone have to point it out to you?  as in hey, your kid isn't doing this or that, i think something is wrong...

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Replies (51-54):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM

We always knew he was different, but we were in denial. His 'tantrums' lasted so long, he wouldn't let us console him. He rarely wanted hugs, or to even be held as a baby. We thought it was attachment issues, since he was adopted. We went to an attachment therapist when he was a year old. He would only sleep in our bed, but we couldn't be touching him. He would get cans out of the pantry and line them up as young as a year old. He had no developmental delays, other than speech. He refused to let us take his picture. He never sits still. He eats standing up (usually running in circles between bites). He would starve himself before eating certain foods (anything with flavor). We never even suspected autism.

In kindergarten, after several months, the teacher called a conference with us and the principal. She said we needed to take him to the ped because he was displaying inappropriate behavior with classmates. We had never really seen him around other kids. We took him to one of the best children's hospitals and had him evaluated by a developmental psychologist. He has high-functioning autism and a high IQ. As well as anxiety. Now that we know (he's in 1st now), it makes sense. The pieces all fit.

We don't really do anything different with him, though. We still expect good behavior, but we know better how to handle the meltdowns (give him a quiet space and leave him alone). He has a 504 at school that allows him to work standing up. We got an indoor trampoline to allow him to jump, without jumping on the couch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I had a feeling but didn't want to believe it, but after 9 people telling me something was wrong and strangers asking I fought to get him tested he is hasd
dancer
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM

This woman doctor years ago had the nerve to tell me that there is no such thing as a normal child!  Needless to say,I never went back to her.  She was 100% wrong. My kid is very intelligent!!!!! 

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I still pretend to be a cat, to communicate with my cat. See? No hope for the child. :P

Quoting Anonymous:

mine was like that too!!!  STill is, at 18

Quoting HistoryNutty:

My kid came out of me, right? She has no chance of being normal. She already pretends to be a cat most of the time and insists on being called kitten. She's only two!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN