Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

asthma

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 12 Replies
Can newborns have asthma. I know it seems like a stupid question but being a first time mom I worry. His dad has asthma real bad and my dad and sister also have it. He has a doc appt Wednesday and he is only two weeks old. He seems to breathe real hard and wheeze from.time to time is this normal
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

of course he can. 

BabyBrooke13
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

at two weeks old it may just be his body getting the remaining fluid out of his lungs . . . I am a severe asthmatic and only recently will they diagnose my 5yo asthmatic too after a few years of recurring symptoms . . . my 4yo is next on the list, this is his first full year with symptoms . . .

randomosityblog
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yes. Saff was hospitalized twice before she turned a year old bc of her asthma. :(

But, sometimes newborns wheeze without it being asthma. Do you smoke around him?

TugBoatMama
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Yes. I was born with it.

tossed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I am going to answer this question from two levels. First, I and both of my sons are asthmatics.My younger son was born in acute respiratory distress. My experience with him is that doctors were reluctant to label his breathing issues as asthma until he got older. There is an inherited component.

Secondly, the breathing really hard and wheezing is NOT normal. This is a sign of respiratory distress. You really should call his doctor and talk to one of the nurses. This is definitely not normal.

When my son was an infant, we had to keep liquid albuterol on hand at all times. He is now 23 and has SEVERE asthma. He has actually had 2 major operations because acid reflux was causing uncontrolled asthma. He also has exercise enduced bronchospasms. Good news, he is about to graduate with his degree in respiratory therapy. 

Good luck. 

poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Hell no. My fil and.sil both smoke but neither are allowed to smoke in.the house or around it either. We airred out the house and everything.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Yes. Saff was hospitalized twice before she turned a year old bc of her asthma. :(

But, sometimes newborns wheeze without it being asthma. Do you smoke around him?

poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Thank you. I'm just worried and nervous since he is NY first

Quoting tossed:

I am going to answer this question from two levels. First, I and both of my sons are asthmatics.My younger son was born in acute respiratory distress. My experience with him is that doctors were reluctant to label his breathing issues as asthma until he got older. There is an inherited component.

Secondly, the breathing really hard and wheezing is NOT normal. This is a sign of respiratory distress. You really should call his doctor and talk to one of the nurses. This is definitely not normal.

When my son was an infant, we had to keep liquid albuterol on hand at all times. He is now 23 and has SEVERE asthma. He has actually had 2 major operations because acid reflux was causing uncontrolled asthma. He also has exercise enduced bronchospasms. Good news, he is about to graduate with his degree in respiratory therapy. 

Good luck. 

wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I was born with it. It's athletically induced. The doctor told my mom it might have been caused by her quitting smoking cold turkey when she was pregnant with me which could have sent me into fetal shock. Neither my brother or sister have it. My grandmother did have COPD, but she was the only other person besides me that had a breathing issue. 

popomill
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

YES. Take him to the hospital if he is wheezing and you can hear it. SERIOUSLY my husband was in the hospital at FOUR DAYS OLD for asthma!

poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Wow I never knew that could cause it. I've never smoked so I never would've thought that to cause asthma

Quoting wulfeyes05:

I was born with it. It's athletically induced. The doctor told my mom it might have been caused by her quitting smoking cold turkey when she was pregnant with me which could have sent me into fetal shock. Neither my brother or sister have it. My grandmother did have COPD, but she was the only other person besides me that had a breathing issue. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured