Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Say you're an atheist....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Say..you're atheist. And one of your closest friends is not. And is in fact...a ..not zealot..but...lets say "Very Faithful" Christian. Or Muslim..or whatever.

You love this friend. And other than her religious beliefs..you get along great. Are bestest friends...so you both decide to name each other as "parents in case something happens to me"

now...if she dies...are you going to be able to honor her wishes and bring that child or those children up as super christians?

OR..say if YOU die..do you think SHE will be able to allow your children to make their own decisions later..without trying to color their decisions?

IS that even possible?

PS it's a hypothetical.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rvb146
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
No? If anything the child would be brought up understanding both sides and then deciding which they choose to follow. It would be pretty hard to raise a child in one religion while the family practices another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I wouldn't set them up to be the child's parents in case I die. Religion is something I feel very strongly about and I would choose someone else.

casah4
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I personally wouldn't be ok with that situation. My beliefs are mine for a reason and I couldn't teach them that another belief was the truth. Did that make sense? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I'm an atheist.. with very religious friends!

I would honor her by telling them that their mother was a christian, this is what she believed.. if she was active in her church I'd make sure they still attended the chuch, as I know a lot of church's are close nit.. I'm sure the kiddos could use their church family after losing their mother.

Now if they told me they didn't want to go anymore, I wouldn't force them.

I'd be okay with my children being raised in a "Christian" home. My 5 and 6 year old know that different people believe different things.. and one day they will have to find their.. "tribe." I'm pretty sure that even with their young ages, when they become adults if they ended up Christians, it would be because they truly believed, not because my friend.. brainwashed them.  For lack of a better word...

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

NiamhWitch
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I would tell her that while I'm honoured that she would choose me to care for her child should anything happen to her... I would probably not be the best choice as I don't think I could abide by her religious wishes.

I would also not choose someone who's religious beliefs starkly contrasted mine (even if we were very close).  I don't think it would be fair to my friend to insist that they raise my child in a belief system that they do not agree with.

notdown4games
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I'm an athiest. That was easy ;)

Sorry. Just kidding. I felt like being a smartass. I believe that if the 2 of you truly respect each other, that yes, you could honor each others wishes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM

No matter how much I love my friends and/or family I wouldn't leave my children with someone who did not follow my faith. As in my own children, I will be leaving them with their father (we are divorced) and be making sure they will NOT be left with any of MY family as none of them are Muslims. 

kidlover2
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Yes and yes. I am a Christian. One of my best friends in the world, is an avid atheist. We discuss religion all the time and can still be respectful of each other. If I raised his kids, I would 100% raise them the way he would have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sstripedmonkey
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I would definitely honor their choice, we are athiest, and if she wanted me to drive him to church, Sunday school, whatever, and I would be there to support him 100%
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mweddle
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I take my faith very seriously so I would choose someone with similar beliefs.  If I were the one taking on an atheist family's child I would raise them exactly how I raise my own.  They are free to choose their own religion but they go to church with me when they are too young to stay home and choose.  We would also pray and we would also celebrate Christian holidays.  I would be able to be respectful of their mom's beliefs and tell them exactly what she believed and how she wanted her raised.

In this hypothetical situation, I must add that since we are such close friends she would know that I would pray with them and take them to church so if that bugged her she would need to choose someone else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured