Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sorry, but I'm going to be that mom

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 280 Replies
4 moms liked this

My kids go to a great public school with lots of field trips. Most are education trips but they have a few just for fun trips each year. Kids who don't get permission to go stay back at the school and do lessons for the day. We got the list today for the trips for the rest of the school year and when it starts getting warmer they are taking the kids on a trip to the lake to go swimming and tubing.

I'm not letting my five year old son go on this field trip and he will stay back at school with a handful of kids and learn. This trip is for the whole grade, so there will be 40+ students there, with one life guard on duty and ten teachers and parent volunteers. A lot of these kids will not be strong swimmers and will need more attention, so I can't guarentee someone will be watching my child in the water at all times. He is a strong swimmer, but he's also five and with a lot of kids in the water, we are not comfortable with it. We go swimming all the time in the summer, so it's not like he's missing out on an experiance. Sure, it will be a bummer for him to have to stay behind and do school work while the rest of the school are on various field trips, but I'm not doing something I don't think is safe over that.

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Do they not let parents attend as chaperones?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ahappymommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
5 moms liked this

I dont think I would want my 5 year old to go tubing and swimming at the lake with his class either! I dont know, but that just sounds dangerous to me too!

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

They do, but my husband and I are both going to be at work, so we can't go along.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Do they not let parents attend as chaperones?

Dreamly
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I don't blame you at all
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Mine wouldn't go on that particular trip either. I usually go on all the class trips unless there are 2 different grades going on 2 different trips

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh good grief.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM
yes, I don't blame you. I'm going to be that mom is well
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM
16 moms liked this

Why not just keep him home and do something fun with him then? I wouldn't make him sit at school miserable.

mybabyapples
by Nickels on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Id go.
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

My husband and I are both going to be working, so we can't do something with him, and he missed some days earlier in the year from illness, so we don't want him missing more.

Quoting bmw29:

Why not just keep him home and do something fun with him then? I wouldn't make him sit at school miserable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)