Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My DD teacher said that she might be autistic....help *ETA*

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM
J3
  • 35 Replies

She said she is displaying some high functioning aspergers characteristics.  Like making sounds that she doesn't know she is making, and various social problems, not looking her in the eye when she talks, certain problems on her schoolwork in spite of high intelligence.  She gave some convincing arguments.  her teacher is awesome and loves my DD as a student but she said to mention it to her doctor.  The teacher is a certified trainer in horse therapy for autistic kids so she knows what she is talking about.  

My mind is spinning.  What in the world do I do with this.  Any other moms out there with high functioning autistic kids.  By the way my DD is 6.

Since she was born I've thought she displayed certain mild autistic behaviors.  Like a high functioning Aspergers kid would.  Not that I'm an expert but just from my internet research.  In other ways she is a normal 6 year old.  I guess thatis why they call it high functioning.

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Talk to her pediatician. Good luck!

hopeym23
by J3 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

BUMP!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I know it is stressful but the only thing you can do now is get her tested. If she is autistic then you can get her help.

hopeym23
by J3 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I'm calling tomorrow. Thank you!

Quoting Anonymous:

Talk to her pediatician. Good luck!

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!

hopeym23
by J3 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I'm calling tomorrow to set up an appointment.  I'm so nervous.  

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I know it is stressful but the only thing you can do now is get her tested. If she is autistic then you can get her help.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM
This.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sthflachk
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this
My cousin is high functioning...he is 16....tics are manageable for him through stress reduction...he has learned to look people in the eye and he has a group of "normal' friends who accept him for who he is. Hope this helps a little.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're worried, I'd take your DD to see a doctor.  Teachers are infamous for making medical diagnosis when they are not experts OR doctors.  I'd take what she said with a lot of skepticism and a grain of salt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Those can also be signs of SPD.  My son has SPD.  Not saying that it is or isn't but he does most of those things too.  He was evaluated for autism and he is not autistic.

Mommy2b2many
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I've worked with them; but I don't have any of my own. Ask the teacher for an IEP and go from there. If they tell you she does have marked they can set you up with aides; therapists; etc. They also will give you a wealth of information. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)