Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cry it out method is practiced by lazy parents

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 116 Replies
4 moms liked this
Why do people have children if taking the time to take care of your newborn whose crying is too much work?

Why have a kid if all you are going to do is ignore them in life and call this teaching them to be independent?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM
6 moms liked this
Most CIO parents dont start at newborn. at least none ive met..
audreesmama
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM
3 moms liked this
I disagree with CIO. Why have a child who will cry when he needs or wants something, then ignore him when he communicates the only way he knows how? I have never and would never, ever use CIO.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
clearlyme
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM
12 moms liked this
You have no idea what you are talking about. I've seen the product of parents who jump at every whimper and it is not pretty. If I hadn't done CIO with my kid, he would have been up most of the night, every night for God knows how long. I tried everything to avoid it, but it had to happen. Bravo to you if you hadn't had to do it, but don't go around calling people names, just because they parent differently.
areyouatroll
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:16 AM
They are self centered.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:18 AM
6 moms liked this

Nobody does this with a newborn. 

Goodness.

You wait until the baby is weeks or months old, and ready to sleep, which they ARE if you have created a schedule for their lives.  They know how the day generally goes, and when it's time to sleep, and that you will be right back when they wake up. 

Anyone who is doing "cry it out" for more than a few days, isn't doing it right, or is doing it too soon for this particular child. 

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM
3 moms liked this

Never met a parent who started CIO at a young age. In real life, at least, most of the women I know baby their babies excessively and CIO starts at 9+ months.

The first time my second baby CIO'ed was at 16 months. I doubt my 1st born ever was allowed, she was coddled too much. Sigh. Probably because of judgemental women like you who made me feel guilty for thinking of putting her down so I could go pee alone.

clearlyme
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM
5 moms liked this
I did CIO and I could tell the difference between "I don't want to go to sleep" cries and "I need something" cries. I love my son to death and it pains me every time he cries, no matter what kind of cry. However, I still think what I did was best for him. Not all kids need that method to learn to sleep. Unfortunately, mine did.

Quoting audreesmama:

I disagree with CIO. Why have a child who will cry when he needs or wants something, then ignore him when he communicates the only way he knows how? I have never and would never, ever use CIO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I think CIO is horrible! It does not spoil children so stay with them, and teach them how to self sooth, and leave as they get the hang of it. I kids never CIO and they are all excellent independent sleeps. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 AM
CIO is not used at the newborn stage.
Vipergirl22
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I tried it when I took the bottle away ( cold turkey) and that didn't work so I turned to a different method which worked. We did it when we first put her in a toddler bed and that was mostly her fighting going to bed and her not liking being put back. . We have her bedtime routine and if after that she fights then she can cry, that is rarely now. Most of the time she just plays and puts herself to bed. I do what works and if that is what is going to work then I do it. People can say I am lazy and that is ok everyone has an opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)