Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does everyone on Cafemom have in-law problems? I feel like I see so many posts with women complaining about their in-laws and finally make their husbands choose between them and their in-laws. Do this many women really have problems with their in-laws or is that the trendy thing on Cafemom?

My in-laws live in Chicago-2,000 miles away from our home in Seattle. I've only met them a handful of times,but they seem like lovely people. And even if I had problems with them,I would never force my husband to choose between his family and myself and our son...I don't know.. it just doesn't seem like very good karma to me.I also feel like forcing your husband to choose between his family and you would result in some serious marriage problems later on.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Replies (61-70):
raefmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I actually get along better with my in-laws than my own family. This is a confession group, so you will probably see more people making complaints. Not everyone is going to confess they have a great relationship with anyone including in-laws. They will talk about problems.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM

They are insane. That's the only reason I can think of.  Her excuse was 'he was crying because I spoil him and she has to stop it'.

SMH

Quoting randi1978:

In a situation like that, I can totally understand.  Hence the "excluding abuse and neglect" disclaimer.  I have to wonder what that woman was thinking because I don't know any previous generation who actually thought it was the norm to slap a baby.

Quoting LyTe684:

Agree. Unfortunately, I don't trust his family with my kids. His mother tried to slap my son when he was three months. She'll never get that close ever again. But she wants all or nothing. She has to have 100% control over my kids. Since she can't she chose to not speak to us at all, but plays the pity card.

I was told last year at my BIL's wedding that I need to get over what ever it is that she did because she gave birth to my DH. He only gets one mother so nothing she does should be a big deal. I beg to differ.

MIL has three kids. BIL is the only one that talks to her. And he is even cutting back because of her controlling ways.

I hope to GOD that I am NOTHING like her when my kids come of age. I know it hurts the hell out of my DH. I would never want to hurt my kids like that. :(

Quoting randi1978:

I look at it this way: these same women would flip the fuck out if their husbands tried to make them choose between their parents and their husband and kids.  I get not everyone gets along.  If it's that bad, don't interact with them.  But don't put your partner in a position to choose.  And don't with hold the kids, especially if the issue has NOTHING to do with them.  They might not be stellar in laws, but this has no bearing on their fitness as grandparents. 

AleaKat
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM
My mother and father in law are great I love them but my sister in law is a spoiled , selfish pampered brat and I can't stand her.
I'd never put DH in the position to choose but he has already told me that me and these kids come first before any of them even his dad who he is very close to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I <3 my MIL and I'd never force my husband to "choose". That's just silly and overly-dramatic.

dipsetgrl06
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM
My husband's whole family is awesome. I have no issues with my in laws and love them all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Not me. I love my in-laws!!

NotAMuggle
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM

i love my in laws

tmeg71
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I had a good relationship with my MIL for 20 years until an issue came up and she made it very clear that I was just the woman her son had married.  Hubby demanded she show me respect as his wife, and she refused saying he was a horrible person for putting his marriage first.  I no longer have any contact with her, but I do not dictate the same for my husband or children.   Hubby chooses to have no contact, and the kids visit her occasionally.  Though since this has happened, I have noticed they have to initiate contact...she does not contact them.  She's very self absorbed, and a horribly bitter woman.  My life improved once I was no longer trying to please her at every turn.

:P>-|o:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
No problem with the in-laws.

Well once there was... Dhs mom was saying dd was behind, and she needed help and fave me a number saying she already spoke to them and are expecting her. This was 6 months into dating dh and dd is not his. So I took great offense and she knew it. I didn't speak to her for avlongvtime after that. Next time she saw dd she didn't say a thing.

Dhs dad is awesome. (His parents are divorced). He loves dd, never said anything about her. Just loves her overall like she is his grandchild. His father is also 70, and dh is the only kid. They both want more grandchildren. Lol
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM
I don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN