Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ACK new house or no??????

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM
  • 61 Replies

so we have a chance to buy a new house. we need one badly. the one we're in is only 2500 sq ft, the new one is 6400 sq ft. 5 bed, 6 bath, 3 car heated garage, chef's kitchen, loft office, 20 ft vaulted ceiling in living room, 2 other living rooms, movie theater, full heated tack house, on 40 acres. asking price 289, tho i refuse to pay that. we just did a walk-thru, it's WAY more unfinished than we were led to believe. heaps of clothes in each room (squatters?), mouse poop all over kitchen (ew), and some dog poop too. kids got in and had a party, so surface damage including a few holes in the walls, and stains on a very light carpet that could be either pee or maybe some kind of booze. dining room floor is just plywood, and no eat in kitchen. 2 bedrooms 14x10, 2 10x12, so small. master's bedroom 16x26. one of the 'living rooms' is a small room that really is too small to do anything w/. so lots of wasted space i think. the high ceiling would be a bitch to heat, but there's no load bearing wall to wall it off, w/out cuttin main living room in half. chewing my guts in half, trying to decide. it's basically a spendy fixer-upper, but i don't even like the kitchen and i love to cook! it's all backwards to me, and i could never afford to just swap it out, you know how spendy kitchens are. and 6 bathrooms? i'd be scrubbing toilets all day long! but yet but yet, we do need a big house so badly, and there are NO others available, not for a 50 mile radius. oh and too, water damage in the basement, which means movie theater is gone, tho it was never finished. would have to kilz and redo sheetrock 2 1/2 feet up alllll over basement, the theater equipment was ruined. if we get it for 200,000, would YOU go for it? electric heat, forced air, so we can put in central, but.... have to get the vents cleaned due to mouse droppings, and get exterminator too, and ohhhhhhh the cleaning...........

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audreesmama
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:58 AM
It depends on the area. If 200k is a good price, yes. Will the sellers agree to any repairs?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:58 AM
4 moms liked this

First world problems at their finest.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM

How much land and how much to fix up??

lovinglife0682
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Here $298k would be a steal.
ElleLuvsOrchids
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I'd take it if I could roll a home equity line of credit into the mortgage to fix all the issues and then some.  And I wouldn't move in until it's in been exterminated, throughly cleaned and with no water leaks or mold. 

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM

We have 5 bedrooms 4 bathrooms and our house was 450k. I'd jump on that even if it took work.

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Where I live that's a steal of a deal you couldn't get a bare 40 acres for under 800,000!
AkashaGermaine
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Even with the work that would be an amazing price where I'm at in California. A 2500 sq 3 bed, 2 bath is around $350, 000 in town. That means about a quarter acre lot. If you can afford it, do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Wow for a house that big here would go for around 850k your size house would go more for that price lol
want10more
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:10 AM

to answer all questions. the sellers won't do any repairs. the house was initially appraised at 625. 40 acres. surface work, but all flooring too. and must try to build loft to cut down on 20 ft ceiling (heating issue) the mold issue wow i dunno. we have to assume we have mold issues due to water damage. but we saw no evidence of BLACK mold. yeah we can probably get the money, especially since my bro in law will probably buy WITH us, and bulld close to our house. it just seems to me that a house that big should have felt like my dream house? it didn't. it felt like a spendy fixer-upper. roof is good foundation good, surface cracks in walls due to no heat for the last year.... i wish i would have either fell in love or went uck. i'm on the fence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)