Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My friends daughter doesn't know her alphabet

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 156 Replies

My child is 3 and hers is 5.  My son can count to 20 easy, sound out words (ie read) and do the alphabet

Hers can't count, do the alphabet, sound out words, nothing!

wtf

is that normal?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM
7 moms liked this
My son is 2 and he can burp the entire alphabet...
zaftigmama
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:00 AM
8 moms liked this

Every. kid progresses at a different level. Many kids don't learn those things until pre-school or Kindergarten.

-42-
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:02 AM
14 moms liked this
Well you should say something to her mother, you deserve an explanation for this!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:02 AM
13 moms liked this

Yeah well my 15 month old knows the quadratic equation. Beat that. 

lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:03 AM

I wouldn't worry unless it was my kid lol

bellawomen
by Summer on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Yes it is normal.  It makes it tougher on her when she enters school, but its not abnormal or bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:04 AM
11 moms liked this
Ever heard of kids who learn at different speeds, or who may have learning disabilities?

My oldest is 9. She was speaking full sentences at hardly a year, reading books by 2.5, and is currently in the middle of testing for the gifted program.

My almost five year old, who we've tried to teach the same way, has a hard time counting to 20, gets mixed up on her ABCs, and can't read anything.

Instead of worrying about someone else's kid, just be grateful that your child is doing so well.
luckythreemom
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Does she work with the child at all? I was very suprised going into my daughter's kindergarten class this year, just how many parents don't work with their kids at all! One littoe boy could notbhold a pencil or crayon properly, many coukd not put on there own shoes or coats, several did not know the alphabet. People figure they will learn it in schoop I guess. Sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:06 AM

I don't know what stage a kid should be at when, I have no other kids in my family to observe, just my friends.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Ever heard of kids who learn at different speeds, or who may have learning disabilities?

My oldest is 9. She was speaking full sentences at hardly a year, reading books by 2.5, and is currently in the middle of testing for the gifted program.

My almost five year old, who we've tried to teach the same way, has a hard time counting to 20, gets mixed up on her ABCs, and can't read anything.

Instead of worrying about someone else's kid, just be grateful that your child is doing so well.

myangels2
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:07 AM
3 moms liked this
One of my sons didn't know his alphabet or letter/number reconition until he was 5. He's 8 now and in the second grade reading at a fourth grade level.

I think nothing of it...every child learns at a different speed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured