Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You have way more than 15 items, b****!

Posted by   + Show Post

I was in a grocery store on my lunch break from work last week.  There were two registers open.  I got in the one that was marked "express."  In front of  me was a mother and her child and their cart FULL of groceries.  I waited 10 minutes, then I had to put my four items down and leave.  Is this her fault or the fault of the store for allowing this?

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
FunnyKids
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

You didn't wait ten minutes. Do you know how much a cashier can scan in ten minutes.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyLo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Um. They turn people away all the time who have more items than allowed in express. Here at least..
lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM
There have been times when I've been waiting in line and the express lane cashier will call me over if she's not busy, especially if I have the kids with me.
URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Shop at Wegmans or Whole Foods:] I've never had an issue there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I don't believe you waited 10 minutes for just one person to check out, unless there was some kind of problem.
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM

As annoying as it is, I don't think there is really much the can or will do. They just need to take the signs down b/c obviously there are people that cannot read or count. 

I was at Walmart a few weeks ago and there was a woman with two carts in the 20 items or less lane. Seriously, how stupid do you have to be? You can only put a few items up there at a time b/c there is no moving belt which SLOWS everything down. 

I really hate ignorant people. Oh and don't even get me started on the ignorance of Walmart for only having TWO FUCKING REGISTERS OPEN ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM
When I worked in a supermarket on express, we were told to tell customers to come to our line if it was empty. Sometimes its not the people who do it its the cashiers/frontend managers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM

the store can't really say anything because it would be considered discrimmination in the eyes of the law....i asked a cashier about this when i had the same problem only it was WIC checks, and millions of jars of baby food, formula, boxes of cereal.....oy

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM

This. I have lost count of the number of times i have gone to the store had a full cart and the cashier take me in the express line because there was no one., then end up with someone behind me with less then 10.

Quoting dlnimo:

Well, I know for a fact that if there is no line the express lane can take customers from other lines. I find it a little sad that this bothered you so much a week later that you had to vent about here :/

SunshineBird
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:52 AM

DH was at our local grocery store and something like this happened. The front manager came over to the lady who was about half unloaded on the belt and politely asked her if he could check out her groceries in the next lane so the express lane could be freed up. He helped her move her things over a lane and rang her up himself. I thought that was a great way for the store to handle it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured