Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Staying home "sick" :-/

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 124 Replies
2 moms liked this
My daughter got up this morning and complained that wasn't feeling well. I didn't believe her at first so I continued packing her lunch and having her get ready for school. She didn't eat her breakfast because she said her stomach hurt... Then she started crying as she was getting ready for school. I waited until the last minute and called into the school and let then know she wouldn't be in. As she was walking out of my room I heard her say "yes!" under her breath. Now she's begging to play Mario, watch tv, play with her pet shops... I told her no that she needs to be resting and the only other thing she's allowed to do is read.
Part of me let her stay home because I didn't want to have to pack up her younger brothers and go get her when she went to the nurse but now she's driving me crazy because she's "bored". Oh well.... If you're well enough to be bored you should have went to school.
Do you allow your children to play with their toys and video games when they are sick? (By the way she's 8 and in third grade)

Edit****
She laid on the couch or in her bed all day... She was only allowed to practice math facts or read and continuously felt the need to announce how bored she was. After dinner she thought she was going to play and have a fudge ice cream bar so she was pretty upset when I told her that she was going straight back to the couch until bed time (without ice cream). This morning she got right up and got ready for school without a problem :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM
10 moms liked this

If my kids want to stay home they are usually too sick. But sometimes I know they are tired and just need a break. So I will let them stay home and hang out,play video games, and just be lazy. We all need those days every now and then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

id  say keep to the books and no video games

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this

i would have taken her to school

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Nope. Same as you.

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm playing hookie today. Well, for half the day. I call it a mental health day. :) me and my kiddo are hanging out and cleaning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Yes I do allow my kids toys or electronics when home sick. With that said my kids have earned my trust and don't pull the sick card. My 8th grade dd has missed maybe 5 days of school in her life and my 8dd missed for the first time this year

Edit to add when is your spring break. Mine are out the next 2 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
My kids hate missing school. They always have. They are in 6th,7th, and 9th grades. They have lied about feeling better to get out of being kept home lol, so if they willingly stay home, I know they are sick and I let them do whatever they feel up to doing.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

If my kids want to stay home they are usually too sick. But sometimes I know they are tired and just need a break. So I will let them stay home and hang out,play video games, and just be lazy. We all need those days every now and then.

Exactly this.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM
When my 9 year old stays home sick she sits on the couch or her bed and can read or watch tv, nothing else (but homework if she has any). If you are sick then you have to rest to get better. She o my faked being sick once then realized it sucked lol.
-PB
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I would try to find out if there is another reason she doesn't want to go to school.  Has she been having trouble at school? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)