Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes, my child is screaming at me...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
3 moms liked this

And no, I don't care.

My son is 2, and has become quite the little hellion. And hes taken a liking to throw fits in public, one recently was, He threw a fit in the store because I wouldn't let him bring his toys into the store, for him to drop them every 10 seconds on "accident". So before we even got into the store, he was screaming. So we waited for him to calm down before we entered the store...and he did, but then we got into the store, and he started it up again. So, I just rushed through my shopping, even forgetting a few things because I just didn't want to deal with people looking at me like I'm a horrible parent.

Then a couple of days later he threw another fit in the store, because he was grabbing at things, and I told him not to, so that ensued a fit....but this time, I just didn't care. And I told him "You can cry if you want to, but you're still not going to grab at things." And that was that, and I just let him cry. I got the looks from people, which I just shot back a sarcastic smile, and I just stopped giving a shit about what other people are thinking...I feel so much better. Because really, I don't give a shit about what anyone thinks...why I worried about it in the first place, I have no idea. I mean, don't get me wrong...I'm sorry my kids crying is bothering you in the slightest, but really, why are you letting a little toddler throwing a fit bother you, if it bothers you so much that you have to throw a young mother looks like shes a horrible parent...really, you're no better than the toddler throwing a fit.

It actually made me realize how much we complain about stupid stuff that has no impact on our lives, but we complain about it because we're fucking idiots.

So if you see me walking down an aisle, ignoring my screaming child....know that I do not care, and it really is the fastest way to get him to stop throwing his tantrum. Have a nice day...

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
IUND
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You did the right thing.  I had left church and had DS stand in a corner in the hallway. 

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Good for you!  I am lucky in that my dd saves her fits for when she is home alone with mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Lol, I wish it was just me and him when he throws his fits...but he requires an audience.

When its just me and him, hes pretty chill, only gets irritated a little bit, and he'll usually just growl or something, lol. But when we're around his dad, or at my in laws, or in the store....he goes for the gold in tantrums.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Good for you!  I am lucky in that my dd saves her fits for when she is home alone with mom.

VinVanMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I am a foster parent our agency trains us that tantrums are for audiences if we don't pay attention they will stop. My three yo was starting up in a clothing store the other day. People started looking. So I told him people are staring at you are you embarrassed and he stopped! Lol  I always think why are you staring I know you have seen a kid tantruming before he isn't like an albino hippo or anything...then I always remind people I am sure someone had to hear us when we were little, change our diaper feed us etc..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Time to pop that hand! I'd look at you, too for allowing it. Hell no! My kid learned quickly that he better behave in public better than he behaved at home. I refuse to have a hellion in public. Do what you do at home and we'll deal with it but "you" (kid), will not embarrass me in public.
nurbabe82
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Time to pop that hand! I'd look at you, too for allowing it. Hell no! My kid learned quickly that he better behave in public better than he behaved at home. I refuse to have a hellion in public. Do what you do at home and we'll deal with it but "you" (kid), will not embarrass me in public.

I took a similar approach with ds when it came to public behavior, mostly because I couldn't take the crying business. We would take trips to the bathroom where I gave him what for, for acting up.

But OP I can't lie it always made me feel better to hear another child have a tantrum, knew I wasn't alone on the few occassion ds decided he wanted to act up. 

mommyspalace
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM
When I get looks about the kids fits I say loud as can be " cry all u want everyone has seen temper tantrums before" I've actually had both men and women compliment me for not feeding into the drama
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)