Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We don't let our children decorate their rooms.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Unless they can afford to buy the things and still then they must be approved by us. 

The way I see it, it's our home and as adults we know what will look good and will grow with our children rather than decking it out in barbie crap just so she can change her mind in a month. We don't give them boring rooms. I always make sure the rooms look wonderful and we spend quite a bit of money making them perfect. So far we haven't had anyone complain and the kids are 15, 10, and 5. We ran in to some head butts with dd15 once but we came to a compromise and she realized my way would work out better.

They can decorate it with home made things like crafts or pictures but as far as picking out their own bedding, wall colors, other decor,  and furniture? That's up to me and dh. 

I'm sure I'll get bashed but oh well. That's how it is in this family. I've had many people praise and bash me for it irl.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Replies (81-88):
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM
As long as they don't want decorations that I find morally repulsive they can put up what they want. My son still has the same sports quilt he got when he was 5; he has no desire to change but if he did that would be fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dee1603
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM
If the choice was pink walls and Barbie mirrors, I as a parent would already be able to make those choices. I would know that my child enjoyed that and decorate that already. I just redid my dd's room for Christmas and she has shades of purple walls with purple star wallpaper border. I know my child and what she would like. But if she asked me for black walls with skulls, abso-fucking-lutely not. It's my house and I don't want it there.

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

what's the harm though? decor isn't permanent.. you can paint over the pink walls and take down the barbie mirror when you want to move.

Quoting dee1603:

I agree. I am not a supporter of the "my child needs to express themselves by making ridiculous choices" parenting style. Nope. My house. My rules.

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM

hmm, yeah.. black is a pain in the neck to paint over. i'll bet it would take like 5 coats of paint to cover it up!

Quoting dee1603:

If the choice was pink walls and Barbie mirrors, I as a parent would already be able to make those choices. I would know that my child enjoyed that and decorate that already. I just redid my dd's room for Christmas and she has shades of purple walls with purple star wallpaper border. I know my child and what she would like. But if she asked me for black walls with skulls, abso-fucking-lutely not. It's my house and I don't want it there.

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

what's the harm though? decor isn't permanent.. you can paint over the pink walls and take down the barbie mirror when you want to move.

Quoting dee1603:

I agree. I am not a supporter of the "my child needs to express themselves by making ridiculous choices" parenting style. Nope. My house. My rules.

michiganmom5150
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
We do it together. I let them pick out colors and themes. Redoing my youngest next week while he's gone. My oldest has a sports theme. Not too childish, so it will grow with him.
goodmama85
by Diamond Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Your kids, your choice. My kids decorate their rooms how they like, as long as it isn't trashy.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Then I guess you would hate dds room right now.
bearbait
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

You would really hate my house.

One room is painted purple, and it a Justin Bieber shrine, including posters on the ceiling.

One room is painted lime green, with 1D on one wall, and life size Jacob, Edward cut outs on another wall with fuzzy orange and purple bed set

One room is brown with metallic gold stripes to match the bed set lots of decorations like "dream until your dream is your reality" etc.

One room is monster high top to bottom.

The common areas reflect the needs of the family. Every one's bedroom including mine reflects what makes us feel comfortable.

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I agree. My house my rules. I have taken my kids' likes and dislikes into consideration but the ultimatedecision is mine and DH's. They do have character blankets but those are usually folded up at the end of their beds. Both girls have quilts that my mom made for them. They can have their own choice of art on the walls but like you, the rest is up to me. I've been very happy that they don't argue with me on it. At one point DS wanted one black wall and the rest in camo. I told him no but he was free to do that when he had his own home. No complaints after that. For the most point we have kept whatever color is on the wall on the wall since when you rent, if you paint, you must paint it back to the original color when you move.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN