Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No fridge or oven

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
I know someone who has no refridgerator or oven in their apt. They have a 9 month old baby girl. There are also no bedrooms. It looks like they were old hotel rooms and its so small that you have to go outside to change your mind. It only has a shower and no bath tub for the baby to take a bath in. Is there any way this mom can lose her child by living in such of an a apt like this? Also the floors has no carpet. Cement floors painted brown and there is no space for this chil to crawl or play.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM
4 moms liked this

You can get a small refrigerator, toaster oven and microwave and put an area carpet on the floor to make the place more inhabitable.  It's minimal, but hopefully things will get better.

Rhodin
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM

A fridge and an oven aren't strict requirements.  There are many things, even fresh fruits and veggies, that can sit out on a counter and a hotplate and microwave can cook enough for the three of them.  Both of my kids shower because they prefer it.  ODD (3) showers with me in the room and YDD (1) showers with me, period.  She could get rubber play mats for the floor and pare down their belongings to increase floor space.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:03 AM
This is what I was thinking..

Quoting Anonymous:

You can get a small refrigerator, toaster oven and microwave and put an area carpet on the floor to make the place more inhabitable.  It's minimal, but hopefully things will get better.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
morriganna
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:11 AM
4 moms liked this

I could feed my children healthy foods with a hot plate and no fridge (or even without the hotplate.)  It would be even easier with an infant that only drinks bottles and eats baby food.

If you're concerned, see if you can find them things that would be helpful such as a mini fridge, hotplate or one of those skillets that plugs into the wall, baby proofing supplies, and a rubber play mat for the baby to crawl on.  Most of those items can be found very cheaply and if you notified a church or similar group you could get her more help and maybe a better living situation. 

I see no reason why her child should be removed simply due to poverty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:12 AM
I didn't see any room for that. Also it does have a kitchen. No counter tops or extra space to put anything anywhere. This child will need baths not a shower. She can't even stand on here own yet.
Rhodin
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Both of my kids got their first showers during their two week growth spurts.  I held them.  She could also get sponge baths or bathed in a sink.

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't see any room for that. Also it does have a kitchen. No counter tops or extra space to put anything anywhere. This child will need baths not a shower. She can't even stand on here own yet.

bahamamama61
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Get her an ice chest, crock-pot, and a plastic storage-bin for the baby's bath-tub:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Is the baby starving? Does she seem to abuse her child? Is the baby suffering in a serious way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:26 AM
I am concerned about the baby falling off the couch and onto the hard floor. Also when the child gets older is my main concern cause she lives in a bad neighborhood.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is the baby starving? Does she seem to abuse her child? Is the baby suffering in a serious way?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Not your child and not your problem. Unless the baby is showing signs of neglect or abuse you need to  butt out or offer help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured