Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can you get disability for....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Mental illness?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
teal_phoenix
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Yes, you can. Why do you ask?

iamfree
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:53 AM

yes, but you have to have a diagnosis, maybe even a past history of not being able to keep a job because of the mental illness and be currently going to treatment for it. especially if you are on drugs that interfere with your daily life, like anti psychotics... etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Yes you can. My mom does. Her disability is still from her job. It's been two years since she's worked but it's long term disability and she will not return to work. She has a lot of medical problems and was told by her doctor that it's easier to get disability approved if she is also seeing a shrink and the shrink put her on meds for depression. She has fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, an autoimmune disease, just had a knee replacement as well as other things but her disability was approved because of the depression, not the other stuff. Basically they were saying in the approval that if she wasn't depressed then she wouldn't be sick. Yeah, that's why she needed a knee replacement.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:58 AM

well I have had atleast 21 hositalizations or moe that i cn remember inthe past 4-5 years and im on medication and being treated by a doctor every two weeks sometimes more plus I spent 10 monhs in intensive mental health facility

Quoting mattiehatter:

You you can. Some people have to fight for it and some just get it. My best friend has a long list of mental issues and after four mental break downs and two hospitalizations she found herself unable to leave the house, let alone go to work.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Ok. Are you trying to get disability? Do you find yourself in a disasterous mess trying to leave the house?

Quoting Anonymous:

well I have had atleast 21 hositalizations or moe that i cn remember inthe past 4-5 years and im on medication and being treated by a doctor every two weeks sometimes more plus I spent 10 monhs in intensive mental health facility

Quoting mattiehatter:

You you can. Some people have to fight for it and some just get it. My best friend has a long list of mental issues and after four mental break downs and two hospitalizations she found herself unable to leave the house, let alone go to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:01 AM

yes I canthandle leaving the house whatsoever

Quoting mattiehatter:

Ok. Are you trying to get disability? Do you find yourself in a disasterous mess trying to leave the house?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mattiehatter:

mattiehatter
by Mary on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Ok well try for it and see where it gets you.

Quoting Anonymous:

yes I canthandle leaving the house whatsoever

Quoting mattiehatter:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mattiehatter:

FL2AK
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:04 AM
If you have no work history or very little you will not qualify for SSDI. You will have to apply for SSI which is income based. If you have a spouse that works or you have assets you likely will not qualify.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bi-polarmommy
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM

yes you can, but you have to jump through a ton of hoops, and you will very likely get denied the first time

bluediamondmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:28 AM
It's my understanding the government is so backed up on disability cases it takes a lawyer (most don't get paid until you do) and up to 4 yrs to get approved fir disability. And it's based on your last 7 yrs of work record as to what you receive. You have to have worked and paid into the system to draw out of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)