Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my sons father is getting SSI/SSDI....time to file for that divorce

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:16 AM
  • 23 Replies
I just found out last week that my'ex' was approved for SSI/SSDI and that our son will be getting $56 a month as a result. Because we are married with a kid, I also will receive $56 a month.
I have been married to 'J' for just over 2 years and we have been separated for over a year now. I guess I was waiting for the right time, if there is such a thing, to get a divorce. I am NOT staying married just to collect a check each month.
Would you stay married for $56 extra a month? Do you know someone that does?
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM
So he's getting like $200 a month?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PaxtonKy
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM
$1,000
Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:28 AM
What is the question here? You want a divorce so get one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:33 AM
$56 a month for a child? I'm on disabily thru Social Security and my child gets 500 a month. I guess he hasn't worked too much in his life to get that measly amount..
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:38 AM
That's not right. .

I'm on ssdi (ssi is welfare based and kids don't collect benefits from a parent with ssi) and my daughter is eligible for WAY more than that.

I'm guessing he's barely worked and pulls about 120 $ a month in ssdi and the rest in ssi... for 700 $ total a month.

No I wouldn't stay. I thin he's entitled to them whether or not you are married anyways, as a biological child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Pathetic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:44 AM
So why does this make you want to file divorce? Instead of wanting to move on like you should, you don't want people to think you're a "gold digger"'who's getting a $56/mo check?

K
SAMI_JO
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:49 AM

You will definately loose your check. Could loose even more because you have been married for such a short time. My first marriage  lasted 9 years and 4 months. It was an abusive relationship so I got out when I could. but, the house that we were living in was MINE, I grew up in this house and my moma and dad gave it to me. When we divorced I had to sell everything I had and pay him because we weren't legally married for 10 years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:49 AM
My ex gets SSDI and I get over $600 a month for my 3 kids..... Might wanna check into why he's getting so little...
PaxtonKy
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

$56 anth for...a child? I'm on disabily thru Social Security and my child gets 500 a month. I guess he hasn't worked too much in his life to get that measly amount..

No, he hasn't worked much...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)