Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I know why there are so many kids w/ IEPs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

IEP = Individualized Education Plan -- A plan made for a child with a disability and/or disorder that affects their ability to succeed academically. It is designed specifically for that child to help them achieve goals with any modifications or accommodations. (Goals can be academic or simple life goals, such as learning English)

This is from my perspective as a speech-language pathologist, I work with kids who have:

• Speech issues
  • Language issues (Improper grammar, English as a 2nd language)
  • Autism
  • Down Syndrome
  • Social issues (Social anxiety, speak out of turn, don't know how to respond, etc.)
  • Emotional/Mental (Depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, bullying, etc)
  • Can't understand sarcasm, figurative language
  • Can't draw conclusions
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Muscular Dystrophy

-----------------

Kids are kids, and they weren't meant to focus for hours on end. But here's a major problem:

After giving birth, the mom goes back to work after 6 weeks and child goes to daycare. By the time child is 5 years-old, they are ready for school. The issue is that they haven't had structure because they  have been playing in daycare. So now, when their kindergarten teacher is teaching the curriculum and teaching kids how to behave and do simple things like writing their name. So now, the teacher thinks Little Johnnie has ADHD because he's always getting up and doesn't pay attention, he rather play around and explore the classroom. PLEASE LET YOUR KIDS KNOW THAT SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE! I don't want to kick these kids out of speech, but they don't actually need it. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but from what I see about 30/70 my kids have no business in my office because they don't actually have a problem.

71 Things Your Child Needs to Know Before Kindergarten: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/

EDIT: I'm not saying that kids in daycare, working moms, or SAHMs are to blame for kids on IEPs. There are a gazillion reasons why a kid has an IEP. I should have written that better. What I am trying to say is that for a lot of kids who didn't have structure before starting school, they fall behind because they don't know how to behave in school. And some of those kids have ADD/ADHD... 

Since they fall behind, teachers and parents assume that something is wrong with them, when if fact they are just learning at a different pace. They may be a math wiz, but when it comes to reading they struggle. I've just noticed that a lot of my kids are just slower learners, and I don't actually think that they have an issue. My original post came out the wrong way. Please don't be offended. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (171-178):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I stayed home with mine and dd has speech issues and being tested for autism.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Daycare was the first exposure my oldest had to a classroom setting...I'm pretty sure if he hasn't gone he'd have been terrified to go to kindergarten. But instead he knew about circle time, raising his hand to ask questions, asking to use the restroom...how was a year of daycare a detriment to him? We don't employ a classroom type structure at home because we are at home, not at school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM

My son has his cord wrapped around his neck when he was in utero and lost a lot of oxygen. That is why he has an IEP.

NanceeBotwin
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I totally agree. I try to squeeze in a lesson every chance I get. I keep a teachers planner app on my tablet that helps me keep track, so I can expand on that subject later. We have 'school' a few times a week. I think its beneficial for the boys, who do have a harder time sitting still in school, and my dd is always ahead on her schoolwork, so she enjoys it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 44 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM
My oldest has an IEP for speech. There was nothing we did wrong, he just has articulation problems. He is the top student in his class.
texanmommy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM

this!

Quoting BEXi:

Not all children with issues went to daycare. O.o

In fact, I would see the opposite being more likely. Daycare has structure, usually a basic curriculum, and plenty of children to practice social skills with.

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Eh.  I tend to think kids have TOO much structure and don't know how to function when left to their own devices.  Kids need to know how to act when an adult isn't watching 24/7.  I'd rather focus on social skills early than on the typical skills pushed in early elementary education.  I do agree with your edit that children learn at different paces.  

Parents need to advocate for their children's needs.  I'm on the PTA and volunteer at the school.  I know the principal and teachers are doing the best they can with the resources they have.  If my child is struggling with something, it is my responsibility to reinforce the lesson at home (be it curriculum or behavior).  

DD (9) has ADHD and is in the 4th grade.  She's testing at the the 6th grade equivalent for reading and the 7th grade equivalent for math.  She doesn't qualify for an IEP and we haven't asked for a 504 plan.  She tested into the gifted program, talented music, and talented art.  She is medicated and saw a therapist for three years to help catch up socially.  Honestly?  We are just helping her nuture her talents and helping her cope with her attention issues.  

DS (6) is in 1st grade.  He's testing at a 2nd grade level for reading and a 3rd grade level for math.  

I really don't think we are doing anything special at home. When they ask a question, we answer it or find the answer.  Today, DS was asking about brains and bones.  We read as a family.  Just spending time together goes a long way.

ETA:  I was a FT SAHM until my youngest started K.  I now work PT.  Even being at home, we had a structure to our day.  We would have gone bonkers without some kind of schedule!

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM
My mom was a sahm. 3 out of 4 kids had ieps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN