Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I know why there are so many kids w/ IEPs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

IEP = Individualized Education Plan -- A plan made for a child with a disability and/or disorder that affects their ability to succeed academically. It is designed specifically for that child to help them achieve goals with any modifications or accommodations. (Goals can be academic or simple life goals, such as learning English)

This is from my perspective as a speech-language pathologist, I work with kids who have:

• Speech issues
  • Language issues (Improper grammar, English as a 2nd language)
  • Autism
  • Down Syndrome
  • Social issues (Social anxiety, speak out of turn, don't know how to respond, etc.)
  • Emotional/Mental (Depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, bullying, etc)
  • Can't understand sarcasm, figurative language
  • Can't draw conclusions
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Muscular Dystrophy

-----------------

Kids are kids, and they weren't meant to focus for hours on end. But here's a major problem:

After giving birth, the mom goes back to work after 6 weeks and child goes to daycare. By the time child is 5 years-old, they are ready for school. The issue is that they haven't had structure because they  have been playing in daycare. So now, when their kindergarten teacher is teaching the curriculum and teaching kids how to behave and do simple things like writing their name. So now, the teacher thinks Little Johnnie has ADHD because he's always getting up and doesn't pay attention, he rather play around and explore the classroom. PLEASE LET YOUR KIDS KNOW THAT SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE! I don't want to kick these kids out of speech, but they don't actually need it. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but from what I see about 30/70 my kids have no business in my office because they don't actually have a problem.

71 Things Your Child Needs to Know Before Kindergarten: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/

EDIT: I'm not saying that kids in daycare, working moms, or SAHMs are to blame for kids on IEPs. There are a gazillion reasons why a kid has an IEP. I should have written that better. What I am trying to say is that for a lot of kids who didn't have structure before starting school, they fall behind because they don't know how to behave in school. And some of those kids have ADD/ADHD... 

Since they fall behind, teachers and parents assume that something is wrong with them, when if fact they are just learning at a different pace. They may be a math wiz, but when it comes to reading they struggle. I've just noticed that a lot of my kids are just slower learners, and I don't actually think that they have an issue. My original post came out the wrong way. Please don't be offended. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I stayed home with each if my kids for 6 months before I went back to work. As a single mom I had no choice. My children went to a very structured Montessori program and my dd still needs an IEP. I don't understand why people generalize EVERY situation as if there are no other external/internal factors that cause kids to need extra help in school.
cLanief
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Ummm there's lots of daycares that teach too.
My son has had an iep for k and first due to his speech issues. Hes caught up and doin great and may not need it next year so :-p
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Neither of my kids have ever been in daycare. My dd has Adhd and we do not have a IEP. So what ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

IEP = Individualized Education Plan -- A plan made for a child with a disability and/or disorder that affects their ability to succeed academically. It is designed specifically for that child to help them achieve goals with any modifications or accommodations. (Goals can be academic or simple life goals, such as learning English)

This is from my perspective as a speech-language pathologist, I work with kids who have:

• Speech issues
  • Language issues (Improper grammar, English as a 2nd language)
  • Autism
  • Down Syndrome
  • Social issues (Social anxiety, speak out of turn, don't know how to respond, etc.)
  • Emotional/Mental (Depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, bullying, etc)
  • Can't understand sarcasm, figurative language
  • Can't draw conclusions
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Muscular Dystrophy

-----------------

Kids are kids, and they weren't meant to focus for hours on end. But here's a major problem:

After giving birth, the mom goes back to work after 6 weeks and child goes to daycare. By the time child is 5 years-old, they are ready for school. The issue is that they haven't had structure because they  have been playing in daycare. So now, when their kindergarten teacher is teaching the curriculum and teaching kids how to behave and do simple things like writing their name. So now, the teacher thinks Little Johnnie has ADHD because he's always getting up and doesn't pay attention, he rather play around and explore the classroom. PLEASE LET YOUR KIDS KNOW THAT SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE! I don't want to kick these kids out of speech, but they don't actually need it. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but from what I see about 30/70 my kids have no business in my office because they don't actually have a problem.

71 Things Your Child Needs to Know Before Kindergarten: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I would think the kids in daycare would.understand a schedule more than those who didn't.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM
My children stay home with me. But they both have an iep for speech... Not sure how that fits into your post they never had structure till day 1ok.prek. and have flourished, no class disruptions.. nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM
You must not have very much experincd with daycares because most of them now days do a lot of teaching. It's not just a free for all. And that's how it was even 11 years ago when I was a daycare/preschool teacher!
tifferie
by A$$tastic on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. My son has had 4 reports and 13 projects in kindergarten. He went to preschool and had no issues. It is ridiculous how much pressure we put on them at young ages. They wanted me to out my son on ritalin. No he is a boy who is having a hard time sitting for 8 hours.

Quoting sugareemommee:

okay, and the ones who didn't go to daycare were playing at home..

when we were all kids there wasn't nearly as much pressure on kindergarteners. that's where the issue lies.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM

that is different from my experience with my oldest. He didnt go to daycare, I stayed home with him. There were 4 others in his KG class with sahms. They were all leabled by their teacher the secnd week of school as learning disabled, adhd and behaviour problems, simply because they didnt know about circle time, raising their hands to go to the bathroom, and other thing that they learn in daycare...needless to say we didnt have a very good kindergarten year

BeAmour
by Tonya on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Um no...

A lot of daycares are structured and start teaching the fundamental basics of classroom-type of behavior. You have also forgotten about Preschool. Preschool is obviously a more structured learning environment.

I really don't know where you got your theory from.
storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I'm a special ed teacher and I don't quite agree so I'm going to walk away slowly because nobody would like my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)