Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know why there are so many kids w/ IEPs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

IEP = Individualized Education Plan -- A plan made for a child with a disability and/or disorder that affects their ability to succeed academically. It is designed specifically for that child to help them achieve goals with any modifications or accommodations. (Goals can be academic or simple life goals, such as learning English)

This is from my perspective as a speech-language pathologist, I work with kids who have:

• Speech issues
  • Language issues (Improper grammar, English as a 2nd language)
  • Autism
  • Down Syndrome
  • Social issues (Social anxiety, speak out of turn, don't know how to respond, etc.)
  • Emotional/Mental (Depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, bullying, etc)
  • Can't understand sarcasm, figurative language
  • Can't draw conclusions
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Muscular Dystrophy

-----------------

Kids are kids, and they weren't meant to focus for hours on end. But here's a major problem:

After giving birth, the mom goes back to work after 6 weeks and child goes to daycare. By the time child is 5 years-old, they are ready for school. The issue is that they haven't had structure because they  have been playing in daycare. So now, when their kindergarten teacher is teaching the curriculum and teaching kids how to behave and do simple things like writing their name. So now, the teacher thinks Little Johnnie has ADHD because he's always getting up and doesn't pay attention, he rather play around and explore the classroom. PLEASE LET YOUR KIDS KNOW THAT SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE! I don't want to kick these kids out of speech, but they don't actually need it. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but from what I see about 30/70 my kids have no business in my office because they don't actually have a problem.

71 Things Your Child Needs to Know Before Kindergarten: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/

EDIT: I'm not saying that kids in daycare, working moms, or SAHMs are to blame for kids on IEPs. There are a gazillion reasons why a kid has an IEP. I should have written that better. What I am trying to say is that for a lot of kids who didn't have structure before starting school, they fall behind because they don't know how to behave in school. And some of those kids have ADD/ADHD... 

Since they fall behind, teachers and parents assume that something is wrong with them, when if fact they are just learning at a different pace. They may be a math wiz, but when it comes to reading they struggle. I've just noticed that a lot of my kids are just slower learners, and I don't actually think that they have an issue. My original post came out the wrong way. Please don't be offended. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (111-120):
blurp
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I agree with most on the list except not getting sarcasm.  It's like being bullied to a young child.  Depending upon how well adjusted emotionally they are, and I see the point of it being on the list, but it must likely meet some type of borderline or bordering upon some effect of what emo. condition severity it is.

All children are worth being understood.  This is exactly why I believe all the school systems that are consolitdated are extreme in how populated and mass teaching, . aka. cramming education down their throats. 

It's got to turn the other way, if we are supposed to see any real progress in their outcomes. emo, and socially.   Mentally would just be the equivilent of emo + social.      I truly think some extremes need separate outside private or subprivate help.   NOT always an IEP. only.       For any child. extreme

blurp
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Anomic Aphasia.   It is a neural connective brain to tongue muscle disorder.    The brain and tongue muscle don't connect from neurologic brain damage. 

Actually I just googled it.-- It's got a name!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'll change the subject. LOL

Tell me why, after a full year working on just the 'r' sounds with the school's speech teacher, my dd STILL cannot say them right.

brlee1115
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM

WOW!!! 

redneckmama4
by Loree on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Thank you for the acronym definition! I kept wonderin' what it meant.

I can agree. Good post!

Redneck hippie mama to four rowdy farm kids. My husband has tagged along my awesome journey for 14 years this month and we enjoy the simple and natural life. Ask about my rockin' blog giveaway...check it out!!

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:48 AM

But you are so off base.  Kids who learn differently or struggle are sent for extra help sessions during the day and the teachers don't automatically assume there is a mental deficit of some sort.  They are not immediately ever labeled with an IEP.  Also you don't typically get an IEP for ADHD you usually only get a 504.

Daycares are typically also schools and daycares and are HUGELY structured.  So you are off base there as well.  I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about.

Here you get tested for speech and then and only then can you get help for it if needed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I feel like we keep lowering the ages to read and write. It used to be you learned letters and numbers at school.Now everyone thinks kids should know them when they learn how to talk. The agency who helps with training daycare providers has started pushing providers to adopt the Head Start curriculum. I'm all for teaching kids and having a schedule. But I also know kids learn through play. They need to learn how to socialize and explore.

Quoting sugareemommee:

okay, and the ones who didn't go to daycare were playing at home..

when we were all kids there wasn't nearly as much pressure on kindergarteners. that's where the issue lies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I will agree that it can be difficult for kids to adjust from one classroom setting to the next. However, I disgree that it is because they lack structure.  They are very young and beginning their education and are learning to adapt to their environment. As a pychologist or whatever you are I am surprised that that is not your conclusion. Why do you think that most children with learning problems are usually not diagnosed until 2nd grade or at least 7 years old? I myself don't put much faith in any type of testing school psychologists perform. My kid has had them and they are BS.

Pink.Sunshine.
I feel so lost with this new Laptop :/
Yesterday at 2:52 AM
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My Child falls on 4 of those descriptions. I'm pretty sure he needs his IEP.

Donnah118
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

But you are so off base.  Kids who learn differently or struggle are sent for extra help sessions during the day and the teachers don't automatically assume there is a mental deficit of some sort.  They are not immediately ever labeled with an IEP.  Also you don't typically get an IEP for ADHD you usually only get a 504.

Daycares are typically also schools and daycares and are HUGELY structured.  So you are off base there as well.  I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about.

Here you get tested for speech and then and only then can you get help for it if needed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I never thought IEP's were a help myself.  I was in education before I went private and the problem I have is simple, some kids get tests before test day, get notes get everything the teacher has the information on and they sleep thru class.  I think it does them a disservice because in college or in a job just out of school you going to say "hey, sorry I do not learn this way soo.... your company is going to have to change so I can succeed. Its only fair."  Or do you think the company is going to fire them? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured