Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I know why there are so many kids w/ IEPs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

IEP = Individualized Education Plan -- A plan made for a child with a disability and/or disorder that affects their ability to succeed academically. It is designed specifically for that child to help them achieve goals with any modifications or accommodations. (Goals can be academic or simple life goals, such as learning English)

This is from my perspective as a speech-language pathologist, I work with kids who have:

• Speech issues
  • Language issues (Improper grammar, English as a 2nd language)
  • Autism
  • Down Syndrome
  • Social issues (Social anxiety, speak out of turn, don't know how to respond, etc.)
  • Emotional/Mental (Depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, bullying, etc)
  • Can't understand sarcasm, figurative language
  • Can't draw conclusions
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Muscular Dystrophy

-----------------

Kids are kids, and they weren't meant to focus for hours on end. But here's a major problem:

After giving birth, the mom goes back to work after 6 weeks and child goes to daycare. By the time child is 5 years-old, they are ready for school. The issue is that they haven't had structure because they  have been playing in daycare. So now, when their kindergarten teacher is teaching the curriculum and teaching kids how to behave and do simple things like writing their name. So now, the teacher thinks Little Johnnie has ADHD because he's always getting up and doesn't pay attention, he rather play around and explore the classroom. PLEASE LET YOUR KIDS KNOW THAT SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE! I don't want to kick these kids out of speech, but they don't actually need it. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but from what I see about 30/70 my kids have no business in my office because they don't actually have a problem.

71 Things Your Child Needs to Know Before Kindergarten: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/

EDIT: I'm not saying that kids in daycare, working moms, or SAHMs are to blame for kids on IEPs. There are a gazillion reasons why a kid has an IEP. I should have written that better. What I am trying to say is that for a lot of kids who didn't have structure before starting school, they fall behind because they don't know how to behave in school. And some of those kids have ADD/ADHD... 

Since they fall behind, teachers and parents assume that something is wrong with them, when if fact they are just learning at a different pace. They may be a math wiz, but when it comes to reading they struggle. I've just noticed that a lot of my kids are just slower learners, and I don't actually think that they have an issue. My original post came out the wrong way. Please don't be offended. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
Pink.Sunshine
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I am a SAHM. My 5 year old has an IEP. Not sure where she got this from.

Quoting Anonymous:

So you have proof that only children with working mothers have IEPs?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM
You really have no idea what you're talking about. Do more research and get back to us.
Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM
It is a possible cause for some, sure.

My daughter has an IEP and is in the MDS classroom. All of the children in her class have severe disabilities.

She is 9 and is non-verbal and has dysphasia, so we see a speech pathologist. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM

My DS was in K last year. In my experience the children who struggled were those who had not had any type of child care or preschool experience because they didn't know how to function in a classroom. Those who had been in child care or preschool knew how to follow the instructions, routine and behavior expectations of functioning in a group setting.

lkane81
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Well my dd was never in daycare but she has an iep for speech. At one point (prek) she needed.it for.gross and.fine motor skills alot ti do with the fact i never let her use sissors and ahe hated with a passion and still does ti color. So sje hadnt the.gripping muscles to hold a pencil right. The last 2 years its just been speech cuz she is mildly tongue tied. Thosr are all things she might have learned if she were in daycare part time at least.
My dd loves school and is a very good student the biggesr cimplaint i get is she is too quiet esp in class discussions. This is why im excited to have finally found a playgroup for my youngest dd before she goes into prek
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I could not agree more.  They're 5, not 15.  I think it's great they learn to read, but trying to diagnose a little kid in that position because they don't conform to their idea of behavior is ridiculous to me.

Quoting tifferie:

Exactly. My son has had 4 reports and 13 projects in kindergarten. He went to preschool and had no issues. It is ridiculous how much pressure we put on them at young ages. They wanted me to out my son on ritalin. No he is a boy who is having a hard time sitting for 8 hours.

Quoting sugareemommee:

okay, and the ones who didn't go to daycare were playing at home..

when we were all kids there wasn't nearly as much pressure on kindergarteners. that's where the issue lies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I'm a sahm my son had an iep before he started school because he has a serious speech delay and didn't speak at all until he was 3 1/2.... Even with all the early intervention it was a kids cd that got him talking he started singing first.
hootowl21
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Disagree.

That's not a true statement in my DDs case, she never attended a daycare.
matofour
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
A child has to qualify for an Iep. They don't just hand them out. There are certain parameters a child must meet to qualify for a speech IEP.

Daycare is EXTREMLY scheduled. While they have playtime, they learn as well. As you know, learning through play is developmentally the best way for a young child to learn.

I question a speech/language pathologist, who seems unaware that a child has to qualify for speech IEP's, and they aren't just handed out to any child whose parents deem it necessary. There is lots of testing that goes into the qualification process.

Lottie925
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM
There is actually quite a bit of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH that helps explain the rise in specific delays, sensory issues, ADHD etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)