Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I know why there are so many kids w/ IEPs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

IEP = Individualized Education Plan -- A plan made for a child with a disability and/or disorder that affects their ability to succeed academically. It is designed specifically for that child to help them achieve goals with any modifications or accommodations. (Goals can be academic or simple life goals, such as learning English)

This is from my perspective as a speech-language pathologist, I work with kids who have:

• Speech issues
  • Language issues (Improper grammar, English as a 2nd language)
  • Autism
  • Down Syndrome
  • Social issues (Social anxiety, speak out of turn, don't know how to respond, etc.)
  • Emotional/Mental (Depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, bullying, etc)
  • Can't understand sarcasm, figurative language
  • Can't draw conclusions
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Muscular Dystrophy

-----------------

Kids are kids, and they weren't meant to focus for hours on end. But here's a major problem:

After giving birth, the mom goes back to work after 6 weeks and child goes to daycare. By the time child is 5 years-old, they are ready for school. The issue is that they haven't had structure because they  have been playing in daycare. So now, when their kindergarten teacher is teaching the curriculum and teaching kids how to behave and do simple things like writing their name. So now, the teacher thinks Little Johnnie has ADHD because he's always getting up and doesn't pay attention, he rather play around and explore the classroom. PLEASE LET YOUR KIDS KNOW THAT SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE! I don't want to kick these kids out of speech, but they don't actually need it. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but from what I see about 30/70 my kids have no business in my office because they don't actually have a problem.

71 Things Your Child Needs to Know Before Kindergarten: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/

EDIT: I'm not saying that kids in daycare, working moms, or SAHMs are to blame for kids on IEPs. There are a gazillion reasons why a kid has an IEP. I should have written that better. What I am trying to say is that for a lot of kids who didn't have structure before starting school, they fall behind because they don't know how to behave in school. And some of those kids have ADD/ADHD... 

Since they fall behind, teachers and parents assume that something is wrong with them, when if fact they are just learning at a different pace. They may be a math wiz, but when it comes to reading they struggle. I've just noticed that a lot of my kids are just slower learners, and I don't actually think that they have an issue. My original post came out the wrong way. Please don't be offended. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Eh..my ds has severe delays due to low functioning classic autism. He is nonverbal. Yes he needs a speech therapist. This doesn't apply to me.Oh and I was a sahm til he started school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM
So if the kids don't actually need ST, then why keep them on? You can reccommend dismissal to the parents. I may be wrong but I would think, ost parents would be happy too hear that their child no longer needs the help.

If you are saying that the kid should never have been there in the first place, then how does that happen? I know there is a team of people in place for IEPs...so how is it that a kid ends up with Speech therapy when the SLP doesn't believe it warranted? Aren't evaluations completed and a kid has to fall below a certain level in order to qualify?

Quoting Anonymous:

IEP = Individualized Education Plan -- A plan made for a child with a disability and/or disorder that affects their ability to succeed academically. It is designed specifically for that child to help them achieve goals with any modifications or accommodations. (Goals can be academic or simple life goals, such as learning English)

This is from my perspective as a speech-language pathologist, I work with kids who have:

• Speech issues
  • Language issues (Improper grammar, English as a 2nd language)
  • Autism
  • Down Syndrome
  • Social issues (Social anxiety, speak out of turn, don't know how to respond, etc.)
  • Emotional/Mental (Depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, bullying, etc)
  • Can't understand sarcasm, figurative language
  • Can't draw conclusions
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Muscular Dystrophy

-----------------

Kids are kids, and they weren't meant to focus for hours on end. But here's a major problem:

After giving birth, the mom goes back to work after 6 weeks and child goes to daycare. By the time child is 5 years-old, they are ready for school. The issue is that they haven't had structure because they  have been playing in daycare. So now, when their kindergarten teacher is teaching the curriculum and teaching kids how to behave and do simple things like writing their name. So now, the teacher thinks Little Johnnie has ADHD because he's always getting up and doesn't pay attention, he rather play around and explore the classroom. PLEASE LET YOUR KIDS KNOW THAT SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE! I don't want to kick these kids out of speech, but they don't actually need it. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but from what I see about 30/70 my kids have no business in my office because they don't actually have a problem.

71 Things Your Child Needs to Know Before Kindergarten: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/

MOMMYSLOVE13
by ♥♥Brandi♥♥ on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Okay good job thinking this, but riddle me this. My children never has stepped into a daycare center before. My sone has speech problems that has been working on since he was 2, now hes 7. Explain your reasoning behind him having his ISP. BTW he is in a regular class just going to speech two times a week.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I am sorry for the children that you supposedly teach. None of them belong in your office as your judgmental and opinionated views show you are in the wrong field and could do more harm than good. Go get a job with inanimate objects.
blurp
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM

One reply mentioned high quality.   Just what is it you say is high quality.  I'd love to see a post .  High quality doesn't equal this:

Leaving your child you love all day with strangers and letting them just simply  :  "ADAPT"  

Leaving your child you love all day with strangers that tell you mommy loves you, while all that day they sulk.

Leaving that child you love all day with stranger that tell you mommy love you while that child sulks and gets bullied more by all the other so called well adjusted children all accelling and propping up points so they don't look as sulky and begrundled as the other one who has true feeling.   True feelings are taken for granted at these places with moms decision to let them go there for time away from mom.

Mom going to work is so mom can throw her overly hyper self and under challenged ego into the best playing field for a big- world- out- there ""type of scenario"".

We all know it's a big world out there, but seriously our children really are growing up too damn fast.

I don't even like to use the word damn.   But for the love of God and by our grace that is plentiful through thanks, can we all just slow the heck down for a bit, for once, please!!!   Damn.

I emphasize slow the heck down on a purpose for taking time to just be alive.  No acting, or playing it like it's not happening, or pretending to be a friend when little children are at stake, they really NEED friends and those caring ones that aren't just acting.  Or making points, or getting ahead for educational 'only' purposes.   That makes the world look even more overwhelming and worse and more competitive.

We need our children to learn, but can we please place way more emphasis on their likes and fun and play and learning, for their little hearts to grow, ''at home'',  I hated preschool and felt as though I were just a part of a crowd of pretenders all thrown together, for nothing.    It hurts to be lost in crowds, and not all kids think big rooms full of strangers are fun, or friendly.  

IEP's are for the stuff that shouldn't have been there and takes years later to get out, or it happened and got covered up because some relationships just get together for only 1 or 2 lame reasons, to have kids. If they had children and knew the world cannot fix everything they would keep their children home as long as they can.   IEP's are there to hopefully give them a 2nd changing time finding out who they can become .   Through mentoring and special designs of being singled out (due to their ADHD and due to those things that can now be given TIME--to recreate their qualities.

We aren't getting that at home, ****because******** we expect children to just snap into it.   Thankfully we get at least 60 days to play and relearn to replace our hectic burdens from school ..during the summer. At least they learn to relax.  Mini golf is a great relaxer, so is badminton, and stuff that nobody lets you do in school.  Cannot wait til' the nice weather warm, summer weather gets here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Well Im glad you are not my child's speech therapist. He has an IEP for a very good reason.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I read your whole post and have no idea what you said. Considering my poor deprived children (who spent time in day care) have better communication skills, I think I will keep doing what I am doing.

Quoting blurp:

One reply mentioned high quality.   Just what is it you say is high quality.  I'd love to see a post .  High quality doesn't equal this:

Leaving your child you love all day with strangers and letting them just simply  :  "ADAPT"  

Leaving your child you love all day with strangers that tell you mommy loves you, while all that day they sulk.

Leaving that child you love all day with stranger that tell you mommy love you while that child sulks and gets bullied more by all the other so called well adjusted children all accelling and propping up points so they don't look as sulky and begrundled as the other one who has true feeling.   True feelings are taken for granted at these places with moms decision to let them go there for time away from mom.

Mom going to work is so mom can throw her overly hyper self and under challenged ego into the best playing field for a big- world- out- there ""type of scenario"".

We all know it's a big world out there, but seriously our children really are growing up too damn fast.

I don't even like to use the word damn.   But for the love of God and by our grace that is plentiful through thanks, can we all just slow the heck down for a bit, for once, please!!!   Damn.

I emphasize slow the heck down on a purpose for taking time to just be alive.  No acting, or playing it like it's not happening, or pretending to be a friend when little children are at stake, they really NEED friends and those caring ones that aren't just acting.  Or making points, or getting ahead for educational 'only' purposes.   That makes the world look even more overwhelming and worse and more competitive.

We need our children to learn, but can we please place way more emphasis on their likes and fun and play and learning, for their little hearts to grow, ''at home'',  I hated preschool and felt as though I were just a part of a crowd of pretenders all thrown together, for nothing.    It hurts to be lost in crowds, and not all kids think big rooms full of strangers are fun, or friendly.  

IEP's are for the stuff that shouldn't have been there and takes years later to get out, or it happened and got covered up because some relationships just get together for only 1 or 2 lame reasons, to have kids. If they had children and knew the world cannot fix everything they would keep their children home as long as they can.   IEP's are there to hopefully give them a 2nd changing time finding out who they can become .   Through mentoring and special designs of being singled out (due to their ADHD and due to those things that can now be given TIME--to recreate their qualities.

We aren't getting that at home, ****because******** we expect children to just snap into it.   Thankfully we get at least 60 days to play and relearn to replace our hectic burdens from school ..during the summer. At least they learn to relax.  Mini golf is a great relaxer, so is badminton, and stuff that nobody lets you do in school.  Cannot wait til' the nice weather warm, summer weather gets here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I took speech as a child but never had an IEP.I was gifted just had a few issues worth certain letters.Found out later gifted is considered an IEP for MAP testing purposes.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

yep, that was me who mentioned high quality

Child care is a partnership between parents and providers. I would never leave my child with someone I viewed as a stranger. Our child care providers have been an extenstion of our family, we don't see them as just someone we pay to watch our child during the day, but as an important part of our and his lives. If you treat them as more then just someone who is a stranger collecting a paycheck it is amazing the difference that attitude can make.

And I work for a roof over my child's head and food in his stomach, not for my ego

Quoting blurp:

MrsRinehart2010
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Quoting LyTe684:

My nieces Kindergarten teacher said the same thing.But hers was about kids that never went to school or daycare.

ETA: I agree with anon though. A lot of daycares teach.

my kids have never been in day care or anything and my oldest does wounderfull with all of that . she has to sit down dailywork on her writing , reading an easy math (she starts school in fall). My youngest will be starting on the same stuff in the next year. :O)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN