Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I know why there are so many kids w/ IEPs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

IEP = Individualized Education Plan -- A plan made for a child with a disability and/or disorder that affects their ability to succeed academically. It is designed specifically for that child to help them achieve goals with any modifications or accommodations. (Goals can be academic or simple life goals, such as learning English)

This is from my perspective as a speech-language pathologist, I work with kids who have:

• Speech issues
  • Language issues (Improper grammar, English as a 2nd language)
  • Autism
  • Down Syndrome
  • Social issues (Social anxiety, speak out of turn, don't know how to respond, etc.)
  • Emotional/Mental (Depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, bullying, etc)
  • Can't understand sarcasm, figurative language
  • Can't draw conclusions
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Muscular Dystrophy

-----------------

Kids are kids, and they weren't meant to focus for hours on end. But here's a major problem:

After giving birth, the mom goes back to work after 6 weeks and child goes to daycare. By the time child is 5 years-old, they are ready for school. The issue is that they haven't had structure because they  have been playing in daycare. So now, when their kindergarten teacher is teaching the curriculum and teaching kids how to behave and do simple things like writing their name. So now, the teacher thinks Little Johnnie has ADHD because he's always getting up and doesn't pay attention, he rather play around and explore the classroom. PLEASE LET YOUR KIDS KNOW THAT SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE! I don't want to kick these kids out of speech, but they don't actually need it. I'm not trying to be judgemental, but from what I see about 30/70 my kids have no business in my office because they don't actually have a problem.

71 Things Your Child Needs to Know Before Kindergarten: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/

EDIT: I'm not saying that kids in daycare, working moms, or SAHMs are to blame for kids on IEPs. There are a gazillion reasons why a kid has an IEP. I should have written that better. What I am trying to say is that for a lot of kids who didn't have structure before starting school, they fall behind because they don't know how to behave in school. And some of those kids have ADD/ADHD... 

Since they fall behind, teachers and parents assume that something is wrong with them, when if fact they are just learning at a different pace. They may be a math wiz, but when it comes to reading they struggle. I've just noticed that a lot of my kids are just slower learners, and I don't actually think that they have an issue. My original post came out the wrong way. Please don't be offended. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (41-50):
blurp
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM

The posts' list of mental and emotional and physical criteria are not met in a public school, except if it's taking seriously enough.  Public school is governed by the same amount of scandalous stuff that takes children away from parents into foster systems.  If you aren't on their playing field or that level of what criteria dictates, and it's VERY specific with all the extra lingo, political jargon, and specs sheets of miles and miles of dialogue .   That is the very dialogue that is spent in congress the same ways, and they have dinners and coffees' meetings and spend that tax money on.   If the real issue were plain as the black and white type it wouldn't have a chance. still.  Children aren't paperwork, they are children, with love and hearts and they're special.  ALL OF THEM.

I just wish more parents can keep looking to what is more truthful.   If it's even talked through , most parents can have the father working and the mom home.  I believe in that.  Even til. 1 million people later nay say ....   I stand on this , it's my 1 biggest most love of life.  SAHM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Either my not quite 2 year old is really, really far ahead or those kids are behind.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daycare centre only really allows the babies to "play around and not learn anything". all the other rooms are learning every day. The 2.5-3.5 room can tell you the abc and count to 10. The 2 -3 yo room can tell you colors, count to five, sing simple songs, and the toddlers (15m - 2y) can paint, scribble, slowly begin to share; and hell even some of the preschoolers (3.5 to 6yrs) can write their names; short sentences along with everything else previously mentioned. So not all daycare centres are "lazy" and not all problems are to do with daycare.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I am a SPED teacher, and many on my caseload have SAH parents, and always have. I disagree with your conclusion on daycare. Not to mention, I am a working mom and my child is above where she should be. No IEP for her. ;)

I DO AGREE that some are approved for IEPs when they don't need them though. That irks me, for I am overruled as the case manager sometimes. Some kids get them for they are too lazy to give any effort in the classroom imo. :/

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
We'll my oldest dd was in daycare from 6 weeks on and never had an iep. She has alwaya been on high level classes, could read before she started school amd at 15 is taking honors classes.

My ds went to day care at 6 months and never had an iep at school. Now he did go to a montisorri (sp) the year before he started school ...dd1 didn't.

I think many daycares incorporate structure and personally I did educational activities with my children at home because I didn't feel it was the daycares job to teach them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

WTF are you saying?

Quoting blurp:

The posts' list of mental and emotional and physical criteria are not met in a public school, except if it's taking seriously enough.  Public school is governed by the same amount of scandalous stuff that takes children away from parents into foster systems.  If you aren't on their playing field or that level of what criteria dictates, and it's VERY specific with all the extra lingo, political jargon, and specs sheets of miles and miles of dialogue .   That is the very dialogue that is spent in congress the same ways, and they have dinners and coffees' meetings and spend that tax money on.   If the real issue were plain as the black and white type it wouldn't have a chance. still.  Children aren't paperwork, they are children, with love and hearts and they're special.  ALL OF THEM.

I just wish more parents can keep looking to what is more truthful.   If it's even talked through , most parents can have the father working and the mom home.  I believe in that.  Even til. 1 million people later nay say ....   I stand on this , it's my 1 biggest most love of life.  SAHM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Hmm. All the daycares I know of are very structured. In fact, they do more teaching and have a more structured routine than I ever did with ds. (and ds is a happy, healthy, second grader that is excelling in school, so I didn't mess him up too badly. lol)

angevil53
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Lmfao. My son has an iep for speech for twenty minutes once a week. His teacher said he's a dream child. He has never been in daycare. And I've been a sahm for two years now.
unspecified42
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM
You dont think it has to do with the fact that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to education and that we don't know how to educate kids in public schools? Because I do. Play is the work of children. Play is what children should do, and how they should learn. What we should not be doing us sitting a five or six year old in a desk for seven hours a day and giving them worksheets and standardized tests and then more homework on top of a full day at school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM
LOL. That's what I was thinking. Followed by something incredibly rude regarding the value of advice coming from a poster who communicates in such a way, and the value of SAH parenting by that poster.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

WTF are you saying?

Quoting blurp:

ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Ok...lol. Idk what to say about this. My son is 4 and has an iep. He still has another year of preschool and he isn't ready for k by any means. We are trying to get him caught up but he has severe adhd and he is behind academically. He doesn't need speech but he does need OT and he works with a special ed teacher too. He was home with me until he started preschool and I still work with him everyday just like I did with my older son. He just takes a lot longer to learn certain things. I don't think daycare has anything to do with kindergarten readiness.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN