Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm trying to potty train...tell me anything

Posted by   + Show Post

Yes I am trying to get my 2 year old to use the potty and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Randomly he will just rip off his diaper and go to his potty and pee. Other times he will rip it off and pee in a corner or a trashcan lol. He doesn't want to go in his diaper but doens't really want to use the potty either. I tell him to sit on the potty and he goes No mommy, no potty. So I try to get him to sit on it for a few minutes and usually nothing. It wouldn't be a big deal if he was ripping of his diaper and pissing all on my carpets lol 

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
The average age for potty training boys in the US is 39 months. You can wait until he's ready, or clean up accidents daily until he's around 39 months.
BEXi
by BEXi on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Theyre just over priced diapers that cant hold as much IMO.

The underwear will help mentally prepare your son to be a "big boy". I made sure to praise both of my sons A LOT too. They loved it when I told them they were "such big boys now!"

if your son is one of those kids who may need more persausion, you can try a potty chart with a star each time he uses the toilet and your son can earn a surprise after each week or so.,

Quoting jtsmommie0104:

Thanks you just saved me some money because I was definitely going to buy some lol 

Quoting BEXi:

Also, get rid of the diapers. Take him to get big boy undies and let him pick them out.

Put him in UNDERWEAR. Pull ups are a waste of money. Ask him every 20-30 minutes if he needs to go. You must be consistent though.. The cheerio trick really helped me :)

jtsmommie0104
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM

See that's the thing, I don't want to pressure him because I heard that if you do then at a later time he may wet the bed and have accidents and stuff like that. But he refuses to keep his diaper on lol. 

Quoting JsMommy1003:

Oh and He might not be fully ready to potty train...My son Kept rebelling at first and I took a break for about two weeks and then went back to it and he accepted the potty training a lot easier....If your interested in the cloth I just got a "best bottom" diaper cover and some small prefolds to put in as a liner. I only used them to potty train so he could feel he was wet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM

everything she said lol 

the cheerio trick was a life saver for me and also small rewards everytime he successfully went in the potty. i would just give ds an m&m or something and then once it is more consistant, rewards less often 

Quoting BEXi:

Also, get rid of the diapers. Take him to get big boy undies and let him pick them out.

Put him in UNDERWEAR. Pull ups are a waste of money. Ask him every 20-30 minutes if he needs to go. You must be consistent though.. The cheerio trick really helped me :)

BEXi
by BEXi on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Seriously worked like a charm.. I never have seen my boys so happy to PEE before. lol.

My younger son was harder when it came to #2. I used the same method though, just told him to poop on them. Ugh so gross but it worked. :P

Quoting crazysheep:

Lol I think ill use this if I ever have a boy!

Quoting BEXi:

Throw a couple cheerios in there and excitedly tell him to "PEE ON THE CHEERIOS"! :P

New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Go to underwear only. Put food coloring in the toilet and have him pee in the blue water. Let him sit backwards on the toilet ( straddling ) and tell him to watch him make bubbles.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this

here is how I trained my kids in less than a week

1) NO PULLUPS!!! They need cotton training pants or plain underwear so they can feel the wetness

2) NO CHARACTER UNDERWEAR...use these as a reward ONLY after they have been clean and dry for a week

Procedure:

Day 1, wake up, take them to the potty, turn on the faucet and see if they will go, if they do, act the fool with laughing, jumping, clapping, telling them "You did it!!!!" if they dont go, no biggie. Give them as large of a cup of water as they will drink. Watch them for signs of needing to go, but after 20 minutes take them anyway. Repeat above procedure, Turning on the water tap is key as this will trigger urine flow. If they do it, act crazy and then give them 2 M&Ms that you will keep in the bathroom in a jar way up high so they can see it but not get it. Repeat every 20 minutes until they get the hang of it.

Watch for signs of pooping and rush them to the pot. Pooping gets 3 M&Ms and a show of mom acting silly

Took my kids on the average of 3 days to do it themselves. We start on Monday and are usually ready to go buy character underwear on Friday. Remind them repeatedly that Princesses and Transformers DO NOT like to be peed or pooped on.

jtsmommie0104
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

He just went in his potty this morning. He woke up and he said mom I pooped (which he hadn't lol) so he takes off his pajamas and I take off his diaper and clean him up. He runs over to the potty and goes then goes "Yeah like daddy, like daddy" he runs over to me and we high five and do silly little dances lol. 

Quoting BEXi:

Theyre just over priced diapers that cant hold as much IMO.

The underwear will help mentally prepare your son to be a "big boy". I made sure to praise both of my sons A LOT too. They loved it when I told them they were "such big boys now!"

if your son is one of those kids who may need more persausion, you can try a potty chart with a star each time he uses the toilet and your son can earn a surprise after each week or so.,

Quoting jtsmommie0104:

Thanks you just saved me some money because I was definitely going to buy some lol 

Quoting BEXi:

JsMommy1003
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM

The trouble with regular disposible pulllups though is that they are exactly like diapers. I wasted my money on them until I realized that. Then I did regular Underwear But Ended up With Soaking wet couches, Floor, Etc. So I got a "best bottom" cover and prefolds and that way he felt when he was wet but didnt soak everything LOL

Quoting jtsmommie0104:

Hm, maybe we need pull ups because he is just i diapers all day. He gets excited when he does pee in the potty. I was thinking of maybe getting two more pottys so that they are easier to get to.

Quoting JsMommy1003:

What I did is put my son in Cloth Pullups during the day and took him to teh potty about 2x an hour like every 25-40 minutes and let him get used to going to the potty. I always repeated "You Pee Pee in the potty." From what I understand Diapers Don't let them know that they are wet, So The Cloth Pullups Let him know when he had an accident and He started to catch on. He is now fully Potty trained when it comes to pee pee but Now Im Battling the Poop in pants *sigh* But You can also try rewarding him with something when he goes in the potty Like an M&M or something.

lendales_mommi
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM

this worked for me and yes get rid of those expensive pullups....such a waste of money....Little stickers or prizes after going potty might help too. We always made a HUGE deal about using the POTTY. My son was fully pottytrained by 18 months old .....the only thing I need advice on is how to get him to put the seat down LOL

Quoting BEXi:

Throw a couple cheerios in there and excitedly tell him to "PEE ON THE CHEERIOS"! :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)