Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm trying to potty train...tell me anything

Posted by   + Show Post

Yes I am trying to get my 2 year old to use the potty and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Randomly he will just rip off his diaper and go to his potty and pee. Other times he will rip it off and pee in a corner or a trashcan lol. He doesn't want to go in his diaper but doens't really want to use the potty either. I tell him to sit on the potty and he goes No mommy, no potty. So I try to get him to sit on it for a few minutes and usually nothing. It wouldn't be a big deal if he was ripping of his diaper and pissing all on my carpets lol 

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Replies (21-30):
MommySchropp
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I just finished potty training my 2 1/2 year old a couple weeks ago. What I noticed that made a big change was to put him in undies all day and a diaper at nap/bed time. Of course he had accidents but not very many and he caught on very quickly. He threw fits when I told him to go on the potty too, but I just kept hassling him, haha. And staying home for a week or so helped too, so we wouldn't have to put a diaper on him when we got in the car or out in public. I'm not saying my way is the right way, just an idea :) Good luck to your and your son!

jtsmommie0104
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM

This morning he went on his own and we acted silly and did high fives. He wants to go standing up apparently. I think I am going to take Friday and Monday off and try this from Friday through the weekend until Monday. 

Quoting shivasgirl:

here is how I trained my kids in less than a week

1) NO PULLUPS!!! They need cotton training pants or plain underwear so they can feel the wetness

2) NO CHARACTER UNDERWEAR...use these as a reward ONLY after they have been clean and dry for a week

Procedure:

Day 1, wake up, take them to the potty, turn on the faucet and see if they will go, if they do, act the fool with laughing, jumping, clapping, telling them "You did it!!!!" if they dont go, no biggie. Give them as large of a cup of water as they will drink. Watch them for signs of needing to go, but after 20 minutes take them anyway. Repeat above procedure, Turning on the water tap is key as this will trigger urine flow. If they do it, act crazy and then give them 2 M&Ms that you will keep in the bathroom in a jar way up high so they can see it but not get it. Repeat every 20 minutes until they get the hang of it.

Watch for signs of pooping and rush them to the pot. Pooping gets 3 M&Ms and a show of mom acting silly

Took my kids on the average of 3 days to do it themselves. We start on Monday and are usually ready to go buy character underwear on Friday. Remind them repeatedly that Princesses and Transformers DO NOT like to be peed or pooped on.

jujubear1
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM

This!  DD was in daycare when she hit potty training time and they required pull-ups for sanitary reasons.  It made potty training sooooo much harder! She would look at me and tell me she needed to pee, but she was just going to do it in her diaper. Made me want to pull my hair out. So, one weekend, I decided I didn't care how many messes I had to clean up. I made sure we had lots of clean big girl underwear and had nowhere we had to be.  By Sunday evening, she had it down.

Quoting BEXi:

Also, get rid of the diapers. Take him to get big boy undies and let him pick them out.

Put him in UNDERWEAR. Pull ups are a waste of money. Ask him every 20-30 minutes if he needs to go. You must be consistent though.. The cheerio trick really helped me :)

ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Average LOL. Both my boys were potty trained before 39mo. My oldest was 22mo. My youngest was completely trained a week before his third bday.

Quoting Anonymous:

The average age for potty training boys in the US is 39 months. You can wait until he's ready, or clean up accidents daily until he's around 39 months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
My DS is 2-1/2. We have NOT yet started potty training (he is language delayed). However I have heard to get rid of the diapers during the days. Using padded or regular underwear is what was recommended for us (once we get to that point). Also have him sit in the potty every 30
Minutes whether he goes or not. That way he will get use to the feeling.

Again, my advice may not mean much as I haven't gone through it yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM

My oldest son was completely trained at 18 months and my younger son was at 21 months, and he was a preemie...neither ever has accidents, much less DAILY accidents

Quoting Anonymous:

The average age for potty training boys in the US is 39 months. You can wait until he's ready, or clean up accidents daily until he's around 39 months.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I trained my disabled ss in a week using the method I posted earlier, he was very delayed and had the vocabulary of a 9 month old. We got custody of him at 3yrs 2mos and still in diapers. I gave him a month to get comfortable with us and then potty trained him. Potty Candy works wonders!

Quoting JamesMom714:

My DS is 2-1/2. We have NOT yet started potty training (he is language delayed). However I have heard to get rid of the diapers during the days. Using padded or regular underwear is what was recommended for us (once we get to that point). Also have him sit in the potty every 30

jtsmommie0104
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM

He is in day care too, but only for like 4-5 hours a day. He wants to potty like daddy lol. Apparently that is where my hold up is. Someone told me to let him go watch daddy do it. So we did. Now he on;y wants to potty standing up. 

Quoting jujubear1:

This!  DD was in daycare when she hit potty training time and they required pull-ups for sanitary reasons.  It made potty training sooooo much harder! She would look at me and tell me she needed to pee, but she was just going to do it in her diaper. Made me want to pull my hair out. So, one weekend, I decided I didn't care how many messes I had to clean up. I made sure we had lots of clean big girl underwear and had nowhere we had to be.  By Sunday evening, she had it down.

Quoting BEXi:

Also, get rid of the diapers. Take him to get big boy undies and let him pick them out.

Put him in UNDERWEAR. Pull ups are a waste of money. Ask him every 20-30 minutes if he needs to go. You must be consistent though.. The cheerio trick really helped me :)

jtsmommie0104
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

We are going to try your method this weekend, since it's a long weekend. I really appreciate the advice. 

Quoting shivasgirl:

My oldest son was completely trained at 18 months and my younger son was at 21 months, and he was a preemie...neither ever has accidents, much less DAILY accidents

Quoting Anonymous:

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Really? I'll have to go back and look at your method! Thanks!

Quoting shivasgirl:

I trained my disabled ss in a week using the method I posted earlier, he was very delayed and had the vocabulary of a 9 month old. We got custody of him at 3yrs 2mos and still in diapers. I gave him a month to get comfortable with us and then potty trained him. Potty Candy works wonders!

Quoting JamesMom714:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)