Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm trying to potty train...tell me anything

Posted by   + Show Post

Yes I am trying to get my 2 year old to use the potty and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Randomly he will just rip off his diaper and go to his potty and pee. Other times he will rip it off and pee in a corner or a trashcan lol. He doesn't want to go in his diaper but doens't really want to use the potty either. I tell him to sit on the potty and he goes No mommy, no potty. So I try to get him to sit on it for a few minutes and usually nothing. It wouldn't be a big deal if he was ripping of his diaper and pissing all on my carpets lol 

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Replies (31-35):
robyann
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Put some cheerios in the big potty, he'll love trying to hit those with his pee, lol. Continue taking him often and keep reminding him that we peepee in the potty ONLY. Just keep at it, it takes time, some kids longer than others. 

stykir
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

the one lady suggested cloth pullups...maybe she meant the cloth training pants you can buy that are like underwear but with extra thick padding for when they have an accident. those are usually around where you buy onesies and socks and things. sometimes you have to search for them. but i think they help you not have such a big wet mess on the floor when they have an accident! I liked them for just starting out. 

with my son i used to take a toy he liked and put it up where he could see but not reach it. I told him it's a toy for big boys who use the potty, so when he pottied during the day he would get his toy back (i mainly did that for poop since it was once a day) For pee, stickers worked for him each time he went pee IN the potty

Quoting jtsmommie0104:

Thanks you just saved me some money because I was definitely going to buy some lol 

Quoting BEXi:

Also, get rid of the diapers. Take him to get big boy undies and let him pick them out.

Put him in UNDERWEAR. Pull ups are a waste of money. Ask him every 20-30 minutes if he needs to go. You must be consistent though.. The cheerio trick really helped me :)

Oostera
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Both of my kids potty learned before two. My daughter up and decided that she no longer wanted to wear diapers one day at 23 months. So she went diaperless and underwear less and wore dresses for a little while. I slowly taught her to wear pants and pull them down, then underwear. My son recently potty learned at 22 months. I let him go without pants and diaper for a little while. After a bit of peeing on his feet, he realized that just sitting on the potty was much easier. Now he can wear pants, too. In each case, I didn't force the issue. I let them decide if they wanted to wear a diaper that day and, when the answer was no, I let them know that they would have to use the potty or a diaper would have to be put on. I asked them to help me clean up their messes, too. I never put them down for accidents.

Just as an aside, overnight "training" is a fairytale. They are either ready or they are not. Something inside each child just has to "click" and there isn't anything that the parent can do. One day, it just happens.

Good luck:)

jtsmommie0104
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

He just went to the potty again on his own -_- hey maybe he is going to do it himself now. 

jujubear1
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Can you let him?  Small step stool in front of the potty or something? Idk, I remember my SIL turning her boys backwards on the potty, but I've never solely potty trained a boy. I've always heard girls are easier to potty train, but if that's true, basing off my experience w/my dd, Idk how any boys ever got trained lol.

Quoting jtsmommie0104:

He is in day care too, but only for like 4-5 hours a day. He wants to potty like daddy lol. Apparently that is where my hold up is. Someone told me to let him go watch daddy do it. So we did. Now he on;y wants to potty standing up. 

Quoting jujubear1:

This!  DD was in daycare when she hit potty training time and they required pull-ups for sanitary reasons.  It made potty training sooooo much harder! She would look at me and tell me she needed to pee, but she was just going to do it in her diaper. Made me want to pull my hair out. So, one weekend, I decided I didn't care how many messes I had to clean up. I made sure we had lots of clean big girl underwear and had nowhere we had to be.  By Sunday evening, she had it down.

Quoting BEXi:

Also, get rid of the diapers. Take him to get big boy undies and let him pick them out.

Put him in UNDERWEAR. Pull ups are a waste of money. Ask him every 20-30 minutes if he needs to go. You must be consistent though.. The cheerio trick really helped me :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN