Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This sounds.. fishy..

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 26 Replies

I was reading an article about a 3m old baby girl who "fell" on a heater and suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns. The article says she was sleeping on a regular bed and fell off...but her 4yr old sibling also suffered burns.
It could just be me, but something isnt adding up.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/baby-suffers-severe-burns?hpt=us_bn8

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Wait, she fall off the bed on to the heater? Why would a heater that hot be so close to the bed? That's a major fire hazard. She is 3m it's not like she crawled to it. Yeah, that's fishy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaddieKate
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Thats what I'm saying. To me, this sounds a bit more like an abuse case or the sibling did something wrong and the adults are covering? Idk.. but that poor poor baby!

Quoting Mamabear010:

Wait, she fall off the bed on to the heater? Why would a heater that hot be so close to the bed? That's a major fire hazard. She is 3m it's not like she crawled to it. Yeah, that's fishy!

morriganna
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM

BUMP!

Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM
If anything it's neglect for sure. You should never have hot to touch space heaters around children period. I really don't see how a 3m on could fall on top of a heater hot enough to cause 2nd and 3rd degree burn that is close enough to the bed for her to fall but has caught the bed on fire. What?! I'm think this is a ccover up by the grandma and maybe the mom. Those poor babies. I hope they both recover well.

Quoting MaddieKate:

Thats what I'm saying. To me, this sounds a bit more like an abuse case or the sibling did something wrong and the adults are covering? Idk.. but that poor poor baby!

Quoting Mamabear010:

Nicole1357
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Sounds odd to me 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Yeah that doesn't quite add up to me.

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Only has to be 6 inches away from a heater. Anything. 

I called the health department once in a place I lived for another issue and they told me that. It's not really a fire hazard unless it's RIGHT against it. 

Quoting Mamabear010:

CafeMom Tickers
banana-bear
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like an accident to me. Was this a space heater or a heater that's in the floor boards? Poor kids, I hope they recover quickly!
MaddieKate
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Thats the thing though. It says she fell on top of the heater. How can a 3m old fall on top of a heater that is at least 6in away?
I think it's a cover up.

Quoting EvilAsh:

Only has to be 6 inches away from a heater. Anything. 

I called the health department once in a place I lived for another issue and they told me that. It's not really a fire hazard unless it's RIGHT against it. 

Quoting Mamabear010:

DahliaDoxy
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Sounds like it was a baseboard type heater?  I think if the house is lined with baseboard heaters that get hot enough to burn then it's very likely both children could be burned with no ill intentions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)