Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism spectrum and autism on the rise

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
The whole spectrum thing has gotten out of hand. Every child who has been diagnosed on the spectrum is considered to have "Autism".
Autism is a pervasive developmental disorder. So is Aspergers, as well as the diagnosis of PDD-NOS.
Unless a child meets the complete criteria for classic autism it shouldnt be considered " autistic".
The reason the numbers on autism is on the rise is because of how they lumped all the kids with pervasive developmental disorders together in one little tidy package and slap a nice little lable of autism on it.
This is why it is so misunderstood. This is why so many people are frustrated and this is why many people dont take autism serious and claim it is way to over diagnosed.
It isnt that yhese children are diagnosed. It is that they are all under one name that everyone has used for a long time and assosiate with classic autism.
PDD-NOS has some of the autism characteristics but doesnt meet the whole criteria for autism, so it shouldnt be called autism. It is what it is, Pervasive developmental disorder NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED.
Aspergers isnt classic autism. They seem to go back and for with Aspergers and not even know what to do with it. They want to lump it in a spectrum one minute then not in the next minute.
Why not just stick with specific diagnosis? Why lump everyone into a spectrum. Each of these children have different levels of problems. Stop confusing people with a spectrum. The numbers will stop rising and people will stop panicing or complaining. We are not doing yhese children a favore with lumping them together.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

in the DSM-V Aspbergers will no longer be a diagnosis

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I think autism is over diagnosed and used by *some* as an excuse for not being able to control their children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Rett syndome is also a pervasive developmental disorder. Most people call it what it is, they dont say the kid has autism they say it has retts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I hear this going back and forth. This isnt the only one needing to be taken care of yhough. If a child has PDD-NOS that child didnt meet the whole criteria to be diagnosed with " Autism".

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

in the DSM-V Aspbergers will no longer be a diagnosis

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM
This is the kind of thinking im talking about, right here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think autism is over diagnosed and used by *some* as an excuse for not being able to control their children.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My daughter is Aspy and I have NEVER said she was autistic. If someone didn't know what that was I'd just say it was on the Autism spectrum and leave it there. In fact, if I recall correctly recently Asp got removed from the spectrum on the DVM...

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I think a lot of things are over diagnosed and used as an excuse for the classic "lack of discipline".

However. There are real kids out there who really struggle with these disorders, and they should be respected.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I don't know if it has changed, but my son received a diagnosis of PDD-NOS at age 3.  At age 5 his diagnosis was changed to autism.  He did meet all the criteria at age 3 for autism but due to his age, not the diagnosis.

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I do think there is a disorder caused by environmental damage which mimics autism.

I believe true autism, and yes, Asperger's, is much rarer, and is entirely genetic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM
That's bc retts is totally different than autism and is prevalent in girls. Op kids with autism and pdd-nos both need therapies. Insurances usually don't like to pay for therapies without the autism diagnoses. My son has classic autism.

Quoting Anonymous:

Rett syndome is also a pervasive developmental disorder. Most people call it what it is, they dont say the kid has autism they say it has retts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured