Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reusing names in large families

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

When I say big family, I have 25 first cousins on my mom's side alone. I am pregnant with my grandparents 18th great grandchild (and only 9 of the grandchildren have children, many of the grandchildren aren't even grown yet and most of those who have children aren't done having children so chances are, there will end up being close to 100 great grandchildren).

I want to name my son Patrick. I LOVE the name, always have. My cousin has a son named Patrick, he is 6. She has no problem with me using the name, his name is Patrick Michael and they usually call him that mine would be just Patrick, he would be Patrick Michael.

However, there are several people in the family, including Patrick's father (my cousin's DH), who think it is wrong to use the same name. Well IMO with suck a big family, names are going to be repeated unless we are planing on making up names.

What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

hell, I have a small family and we have reused names

my aunt and I are both Becky, my mom and cousin are both Meredith and my uncle and cousin are both David

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Why not change the middle name?

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

My husband has so many Joseph's in his family its ridiculous!!

TeamTARDIS
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I don't see an issue. They are years a part so probably won't be that close anyways.
If I loved a name and it was used by a family member I would probably still use it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fordprefect
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I think you are right, unless you start going for less traditional names, there are going to be repeats. My husband has a large family and when I picked my daughter's name it took him a while to agree because his second cousin's daughter has a similar name.

TeamTARDIS
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
BTW I am Whitney and have a grandpa named Whitney and Uncle named Whitney and two male cousins named Whitney.
No one was mad that Whitney was used for another child, they were mad that it was used for a girl!
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

It's kind of confusing for people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

No big deal. We use "big" and "little" to differentiate.  Caveat--when pregnant and picking names (we did not know boy or girl), we had trouble with boy's names.  We wanted a family name but there were multiple cousins with the same name as both my dad and FIl.  It was going to be hard.  So, WE made the choice to find another name and it is the perfect name for DS. 

Teeshann
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Wouldnt bug me. We named our baby karly. Husband's cousin named his karlee. They are a month apart. We had the name picked from the ultrasound we found she was a girl. Husband was worried about it. I told him we aren't around them enough for it to matter. His aunt did try to call my daughter by her middle name. It didn't stick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I am using a different middle name. I was just saying that since they aready call him Patrick Michael, my son can just be Patrick.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Why not change the middle name?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured