Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

whats the big deal

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What age do you no longer allow sippy cups?

Options:

any age as lon as its used at home

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

Whats the big deal with kids over 5 having a sippy? I give my 5 year old one...I don't want a mess! It doesn't hurt anyone so why judge?
This is a spin off of a reply to the pacifier post
she has known how to use a cup for a long time but I prefer sippys because there will always be accidents.
What her cup look like on page 4
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM
He doesn't drink out of a regular cup?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Is this a serious question? A sippy cup for a 5 year old because YOU are too lazy to teach them how to use a real cup and clean up any messes? Wow.... My son has been using regular cups since he was 2 1/2 because I took the time to teach him. Were there messes? Yes!! It's expected. They're kids. Quite being lazy!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Are you going to send them to college with a sippy cup or do you hope to teach them how to use a big kid cup one day?

xredstarsx
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM
My daughter doesn't make messes and she is 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I totally get that... for the car. Seriously a five year old should be capable of using a real cup.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

You can TEACH your child how to use a cup without making a mess. duh. Mine learned by age 3. You are being lazy.

I'm not lazy...she has known how to use a cup for a long time but I prefer sippys because there will always be accidents.
MommaGreenhalge
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM
My three year old uses a real cup at the table. Sometimes he knocks it over and makes a mess. When that happens he gets a towel and cleans it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

My kids used sippy cups in the car til they were 6 but in the home they used normal cups.

Quoting Anonymous:

Whats the big deal with kids over 5 having a sippy? I give my 5 year old one...I don't want a mess! It doesn't hurt anyone so why judge?
This is a spin off of a reply to the pacifier post.

abigailsmommy11
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I do not give our 3 year old a sippy anymore. And our 22 month old gets a cup at most meal times, but still gets a sippy of water during the day and in the car. I just think 3 and up is too old to still use a sippy. Personal preference for me. Are you going to let your 5 year old take a sippy to school?

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I think it depends on the kid. My 18 month old skipped sippy cups and went straight from bottles to straw cups. He can drink from a regular cup as well, but I don't see the need for him to always use a lidless cup. All that does is make more mess for me to clean. No thanks.

My friend lets all her kids use sippy cups - ages 5,3, and 1. Her older two are capable of using regular cups, but the little one comes and knocks them over. Again, unnecessary spills and extra clean up. No thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN