Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

whats the big deal

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What age do you no longer allow sippy cups?

Options:

any age as lon as its used at home

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

Whats the big deal with kids over 5 having a sippy? I give my 5 year old one...I don't want a mess! It doesn't hurt anyone so why judge?
This is a spin off of a reply to the pacifier post
she has known how to use a cup for a long time but I prefer sippys because there will always be accidents.
What her cup look like on page 4
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
.Milfshake.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Uh dear you giving her a sippy because you don't want a mess is a little lazy sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

You can TEACH your child how to use a cup without making a mess. duh. Mine learned by age 3. You are being lazy.

I'm not lazy...she has known how to use a cup for a long time but I prefer sippys because there will always be accidents.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Quoting B1Bomber:

I think it depends on the kid. My 18 month old skipped sippy cups and went straight from bottles to straw cups. He can drink from a regular cup as well, but I don't see the need for him to always use a lidless cup. All that does is make more mess for me to clean. No thanks.

My friend lets all her kids use sippy cups - ages 5,3, and 1. Her older two are capable of using regular cups, but the little one comes and knocks them over. Again, unnecessary spills and extra clean up. No thanks.

Yeah, I also have a two year old. If I give a regular cup it is spilled everywhere and I don't want to be cleaning up spills all day.
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM
There is no way in God's green earth my 5 year old would drink from a sippy cup, she would look at you like you had 2 heads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I threw all sippies away on dd's second bday. She has sports bottles that she is allowed to have water in but all other drinks stay in the kitchen. Why not use a sports bottle?

ETA my 6 year old would rather die than drink out of a baby cup.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Quoting .Milfshake.:

yeah so did you not put a diaper on your child or use a bib? Ya know since youre not lazy and don't mind cleaning up preventable messes!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Bump for poll
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Bump
Kara242
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I know someone who makes her 9 almost 10 yr old use one and her almost 7 yr old use one. They have to grow up sometime!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I'm guessing it could be bad for their teeth
Makes the parent look lazy (should take the time to teach child to properly drink from a cup)

If your child is 5 (non-SN) and still can't drink without spilling constantly, something is wrong there. If your child spills once in a while (normal) then keep some paper towels handy and take the cap off. They don't learn unless you TEACH them and using a sippy cup at that age is just enabling them...

stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Both of my girls have  a sippy cup that we fill only with water that they take to bed at night. This eliminates them having to get up to get a drink in the middle of the night. My daughters are 5 and 3. We tried several different cups/ water bottles before deciding on using the sippy because it doesn't leak. The kids typically put the cup right in bed with them.
During the day, neither of my kids have sippy cups.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)