Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

scariest thing ever happened to me :( pics in replies

Posted by   + Show Post
I had to get a truck for my second job. I've been doing some work to it and today was its mayden voyage. So I went over to my parents who live on top of a hill to pick up my sister and take her and DS to school.

Now I've driven sticks all my life. When I start them I've always put it into 1st or neutral taken off the e brake whole holding the foot break with my foot and then started the engine.

I found out this morning if done in this order without the engine on the wheel locks up and the breaks don't work.

So kids in the car I do this and we go zooming out of control down a hill with no way to stop. Well we where stopped by my parents neighbors property. The kids where laughing the whole time. Thank God no one was hurt :( I am so scared to drive it again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Maybe its time to find a mechanic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Stick shifts have "park"?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You start the engine in park ALWAYS.  

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Ya like I said I've never had one lock up and not have the breaks work. It was horrible. Lesson learned. I know I need to get over my fear but idk how ill ever drive it again.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Wow very lucky! I did not know it would do that but I always start the engine first with brakes on. I didn't even know you could shift it to a gear with it off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

0.o

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Its how this one works..... I do have one who is working on it with me. We are doing break pads wheel bearing etc this weekend.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe its time to find a mechanic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

i have driven lots of sticks and never ever heard of that - i am talking a range of a 1972 beetle until my 2012 honda fit.    none of them did that.   but i have always started in neutral. i dont like it to take off on me if i slip my foot off the break.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM

That would be neutral for manual transmission.

Quoting Anonymous:

Stick shifts have "park"?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Ya idk its how I was taught long long long ago. Apparently taught wrong I never knew there was a risk of having the breaks and wheel not work. Its never happened to me on a stick before. I've never started it any other way

Quoting babyspots17:

Wow very lucky! I did not know it would do that but I always start the engine first with brakes on. I didn't even know you could shift it to a gear with it off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
That's how I've always done it! Please beware if you ever drive another again holy crow it was terrifying

Quoting AmaliaD:

i have driven lots of sticks and never ever heard of that - i am talking a range of a 1972 beetle until my 2012 honda fit.    none of them did that.   but i have always started in neutral. i dont like it to take off on me if i slip my foot off the break.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN