Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

scariest thing ever happened to me :( pics in replies

Posted by   + Show Post
I had to get a truck for my second job. I've been doing some work to it and today was its mayden voyage. So I went over to my parents who live on top of a hill to pick up my sister and take her and DS to school.

Now I've driven sticks all my life. When I start them I've always put it into 1st or neutral taken off the e brake whole holding the foot break with my foot and then started the engine.

I found out this morning if done in this order without the engine on the wheel locks up and the breaks don't work.

So kids in the car I do this and we go zooming out of control down a hill with no way to stop. Well we where stopped by my parents neighbors property. The kids where laughing the whole time. Thank God no one was hurt :( I am so scared to drive it again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Wheel locked up so it wouldn't turn breaks unresponsive. Apparently it has to do with the power to the breaks??? Idk it drove home fine after it was towed out

Quoting mich.el.le:

Crazy. I didn't know manuals would do that. Was it that the power steering and brakes didn't work or was there NOTHING?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM

And that is why I prefer to drive an automatic. The newer manuals suck.

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Christ on a cracker Betty! Glad you're ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
So weird, my dads car won't start if you don't have your foot on the brake?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Oh wow. So glad you guys are ok.
HaveFaith1215
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Damn - that's a good thing to know!  And I'm so glad you're ok.  I have an automatic now - but if that would of happened to me where I live, I probably would of killed someone. Live right next door to a high school and right down the street from my dd's elementary school. 

Genuinely, thank you for sharing.  I will keep this in mind if I ever need to drive a family members manual car. 

ccoyle4
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Oh my! That's normally how I start my husbands truck as well...singly because he always leaves it in gear with the parking break on....

Quoting .betty.white.:

Ya idk its how I was taught long long long ago. Apparently taught wrong I never knew there was a risk of having the breaks and wheel not work. Its never happened to me on a stick before. I've never started it any other way

Quoting babyspots17:

Wow very lucky! I did not know it would do that but I always start the engine first with brakes on. I didn't even know you could shift it to a gear with it off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Learn to drive.
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Might be the most unnecessary comment ever. Clearly you didn't read the post.

Quoting Anonymous:

Learn to drive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucydiamond
by LD on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Omg why wouldn't you start it in park?!?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)