Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would have said---"Your cheeseburger is not broken, they just cut it in half. You need to eat it or there will be (insert) consequences"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 702 Replies
16 moms liked this
Anyone read the story about the little autistic girl who wouldn't eat her cheeseburger because it was "broken." One of the comments I read in response were my feelings exactly----

"Does autism mean that it is impossible for a parent to modify a child’s behavior?
Do autistic children ‘rule the roost’ because of their particular issues?
Do parents acquiesce to their demands to simply make their day easier?
Life’s a real pain sometimes. We all must face disappointments.
Why are autistic children not taught this?
Why are they given what they want, when they want starting from a very early age?
Does not this sort of positive reinforcement essentially guarantee that such behavior or such response to external stimuli will continue? Forever?

I have no autistic children I do have friends with them and I have always wondered.
I’m not being intentionally antagonistic or obtuse here. I want to know.
But these days, one does not ask such questions in public.
It’s not Politically Correct.

Call me what you want but I am posing a real question here.
Enlighten me if you can. Tell me what steps you all have tried to curb such behavior.
Everyone seems so danged afraid to do anything for an autistic child that might result in a tantrum.

I raised two children. They threw tantrums. Some big, some small.
Those ‘storms’ were allowed to blow themselves out.
They learned.
Why is this not an option for an autistic child? Seriously, why?
Are they incapable of learning? I doubt that."
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM
5 moms liked this

It is not a matter or ruling the roost.  Ever seen "rainman"?  That was an extreme case but we don't what this child's condition was.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM
39 moms liked this
Not incapable of learning, but they learn, think, and experience the world differently from everyone else. That's GOT to be hard for a kid. So why not try to accommodate them when you can? Who is it hurting?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM
93 moms liked this

Until you have seen one of those fits from a child who is 5 years old and emotionally 2 years old or a 10yo who is emotionally 2 years old and too emotionally young to understand when things don't go their way....YOU won't understand.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM
11 moms liked this
Good luck with this post.
katarina666
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM
9 moms liked this

What you suggest may or may not work with an Autistic child.They could have just put it on another bun.The child would have never known.What I can't understand is why they took it upon themselves to cut it in half in the first place.That would be the parents job not the wait staff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM
18 moms liked this
No that is wrong and can cause bigger more negative reactions forcing the child to eat the burger. Its like when children in my class room have sensory issues we work with them on it but we cant force them to touch things they dont like the feeling of. That can cause a panic attack.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree. I get tired of the excuses. Had my adhd child tried to pull that he would be told to eat it. Autistic children CAN be taught. Sure it may take longer but they can learn. It wasn't broken, it was cut in half. Squish it back together
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM
96 moms liked this
Said no autistic mom ever.
Cassidysmom611
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
25 moms liked this

Have you ever done any research on Autism? Clearly, you need to do more because you have no idea. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
5 moms liked this
Ummm ever been to chilis? They ALWAYS cut the burgers in half. Lots of places do that. Its not odd.

Quoting katarina666:

What you suggest may or may not work with an Autistic child.They could have just put it on another bun.The child would have never known.What I can't understand is why they took it upon themselves to cut it in half in the first place.That would be the parents job not the wait staff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN