Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would have said---"Your cheeseburger is not broken, they just cut it in half. You need to eat it or there will be (insert) consequences"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Anyone read the story about the little autistic girl who wouldn't eat her cheeseburger because it was "broken." One of the comments I read in response were my feelings exactly----

"Does autism mean that it is impossible for a parent to modify a child’s behavior?
Do autistic children ‘rule the roost’ because of their particular issues?
Do parents acquiesce to their demands to simply make their day easier?
Life’s a real pain sometimes. We all must face disappointments.
Why are autistic children not taught this?
Why are they given what they want, when they want starting from a very early age?
Does not this sort of positive reinforcement essentially guarantee that such behavior or such response to external stimuli will continue? Forever?

I have no autistic children I do have friends with them and I have always wondered.
I’m not being intentionally antagonistic or obtuse here. I want to know.
But these days, one does not ask such questions in public.
It’s not Politically Correct.

Call me what you want but I am posing a real question here.
Enlighten me if you can. Tell me what steps you all have tried to curb such behavior.
Everyone seems so danged afraid to do anything for an autistic child that might result in a tantrum.

I raised two children. They threw tantrums. Some big, some small.
Those ‘storms’ were allowed to blow themselves out.
They learned.
Why is this not an option for an autistic child? Seriously, why?
Are they incapable of learning? I doubt that."
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (701-702):
Brittanyk3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM
i dont have an autistic child so i dont really know...my THINKING is this...i know change for them can throw them into a huge fit. so maybe because they were in a public resstaurant they wanted to get the burger "fixed" and have a nice meal instead of having to leave because of the child. i could be wrong but i have learned that the "right thing to do" when your child is having a fit is to get up and walk out....even though i dont do that...
ozziesmare
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I rarely comment on CM, but after seeing how the OP was attacked for attempting to open an honest discussion on this story, (that got way too much attention, imo), and autism, in general, well, I'm weighing in....First, I will say, that OP brought up very valid points/questions, and I feel she was honest in seeking answers.

Let's face it, aiutism is a highly mis-diagnosed disorder in children, not to mention, the diagnosis has increased with %age increases ranging from 17-300%. Let's face this, the diagnostic, "metal retardation" is no longer used by mental health professionals, so that could account for not just the increase, but the disparity in numbers. And, before I get blasted, just Google autism & MR~there are plenty of articles that discuss this, & here's a quote:

Autism is recognizable in early childhood, and involves profound disturbances with four basic symptoms: social isolation, mental retardation, language problems, and stereotyped ritualistic behaviours such as rocking back and forth, or lining up ones toys over and over again.

So for all those moms who want tolerance for themselves & their kids, it might help if you practice what you preach without the insults & name-calling. It goes both ways, and I was severely disturbed by many of the comments here & why I give kudos to the OP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)