Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Exotic pets. Do you have any? *Pics*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Replies (601-610):
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Yes. Very. Anywhere between $350-2000 for just the glider itself. Not just the gliders themselves are pricy though but the cage set ups the things that go into the cage the food the needs. Its all very pricy. Stay away from things like pocket pets that tell you its ok to shove them in a tiny cage and feed them hardly anything. You'll only get a super sick pet thats overbreed that will not survive well or long. They are a massive time commitment. They require a whole lot of time day and night. Day bonding is extremely important as is playing with them every single night and they are night creatures and they are very loud (they bark like dogs loud enough to wake people at night uncared for and lonely glider will bark for hours! They crab which is again SUPER loud and a few other sounds) and smelly animals that require lots of cleaning after. They love to throw food around their cage and out of it.  Anyone who says they're not is a liar. They are untrainable. You can't hold them like a hampster or a mouse. They need very large cages (very very big bird cage sizes) they also need a room that they can be let out in that is 100% glider safe with lots and lots of toys. If you go back you'll find even more of what I wrote about them. They are very high matience. Bonding is necessary and important left unsocialized they will become sick and die. Very needy animal and if you don't have the time (talking hours of wearing them during the day and 2-3 hours of playing with them/feeding them at night) don't bother. Run far away. 

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Omg want! Are these expensive

Quoting rosemagic01:

My two gliders.

ADC2005
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Nope. I am Ashley not Allison

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

This isn't Allison is it?

Well either way, if its Allison then you already know I love your pets and if its not then now you know- I love your lil guys and I'm jealous !!!

Quoting ADC2005:

They are prone to infections and cancer, they aren't really hard to take care of once you know what you are doing, but you must keep their temp around 74, clean the cage, have a food with just the right proteome/ fat levels, have the right type of wheel, and be willing to handle them often and bare handed to be a good owner

Quoting Anonymous:

I've heard they are hard to take care of and get sick a lot is that true?

Quoting ADC2005:

Mobile Photo

I have had hedgehogs for awhile now

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ADC2005
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM
In PA they are so illegal if they find you have one they will kill it, no responsible breeder will sell to you until the law is changed, its a stupid law and it sucks

Quoting -JC-:

I want one soooo bad but they're illegal to bring into the state of pa and I can't find any instate breeders. It's a real weird law. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Pepper thehedgehog.

shirley12
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Sorry, I hate snakes! and with the stories I have read I would never have a snake with small children! Don't know much about hedgehogs and the other animals featured but as long as they stayed in their cages I guess they might be okay? Depends on the types of diseases they may carry?  I am very particular about the type of animal my small children come in contact with.  Domesticated animals are best with small children until you are sure they are old enough to understand the importance to proper handling and hand washing after handling those other animals.  small children are too quick to put their hands in their mouths.

kysmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I used to have 2 ball pythons and they were awesome. I had to get rid of them though when I moved back to PA. 

storie_briana
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
I want one so bad!!!! DH won't let me have one right now though :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

Pepper thehedgehog.

tiffanyrachelle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I can't see the pic of the fox :-(
-JC-
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Oh, I must have been looking at an old law. It said that they couldn't be imported but if you found one in the state, you could keep it. 

You're right though, it now says possession is illegal :( Which is sad cause they're so dern cute

Quoting ADC2005:

In PA they are so illegal if they find you have one they will kill it, no responsible breeder will sell to you until the law is changed, its a stupid law and it sucks

Quoting -JC-:

I want one soooo bad but they're illegal to bring into the state of pa and I can't find any instate breeders. It's a real weird law. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Pepper thehedgehog.

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
You can they don't like it too much and get nervous. Just gotta clean ur hands after.try to get a captive bred .less chance of disease and death

Quoting sophiasmommy27:

do you handle the chameleons?

I really want one but most of the stuff I've read said no. but when I went to the pet store they said you could.

Quoting rwcw89:

the big one is Rango, the other was Alopecia but she died =( 

this is Wizard, dont have pics of the others

Quoting rwcw89:

I have

2 ferrets - Luna and Hailey

1 senegal chameleon - Rango

4 poison dart frogs - Snap, Crackle, Optimus Prime and Jazz

1 clown tree frog (may or may not be alive, he goes into long hibernation and just when we think he died somewhere in the cage he appears happy and healthy) - Bubbles

4 Crested Geckos - Layla, Blizzard, Lady, Wizard

1 cat - Harley

a boyfriend and a 4 yr old step daughter lol 

the ferrets dont live with us due to technicalities but im in charge of them still lol 

MammaPaparazza
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Yeah I wrote that in another reply, I was mistaken about its size, however I was not mistaken about them getting out of the tank (and dying) and them tearing up the fish in the tank :(

Quoting Anonymous:

My granddaughter has had one of these for 3 years.  He's in a 50 gal tank with some fish.  He hasn't grown a bit since she got him.  His name is Sylas.

Quoting MammaPaparazza:

African claw frog... That shit will get the size of a dinner plate!

Quoting sophiasmommy27:

Mobile Photo

I have an ugly ass frog. albino something claw frog I think?

idk it's ugly though.

I'm thinking about getting a chameleon. but we just got a dog so I think I'm holding off on it for a while. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)