Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

gay marriage please do not take offense

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
4 moms liked this
Ok so i know this is all over the news and fb, pretty much everywhere. But i have a question. How can people argue gays and lesbians can not marry based on the religious reasons. Marriage should not be thought of like that as it is more of a legally binding contract. Because the last time i checked if u decided you did not want to be Christian and change to catholic you did not have to hire a lawyer and go to court, and sign paperwork to do so. You just go. Marriage is as i said a contract in which you have to seek legal assistance to get out of. Why have i not heard this argument. It makes rational sense. Now take note i am not saying religion has to be left out of the ceremony i am just sayin when considering who should marry why not look at it like that?

I know if is crazy for me to say this especially here. But it is my thought. As for my belief because some one is bound to ask i believe everyone should be able to marry. That is all. Please be gentle ..............
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM
6 moms liked this
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Marriage stopped being religious when the government got involved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Bump....and seriously different but equal i am almost positive that is an oxymoron.......
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Because they want to have their cake and eat it too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM

While I am Christain and believe marriage is between one man and one woman. However, marriage is a religious ceremony done by a Pastor/Preacher/ Priest/Rabbi etc.....

If a religious leader does not preform the ceremony, like a JP does the service, then it is a civil union not a marriage. 

So being Christian I believe marriage is for a man and a woman, but a civil union should not be limited to a certain lifestyle or sexual orientation.

The civil union part is a legal contract, and unless we outlaw homosexuality then we shouldn't be able to say who can enter that contract and who can't. 

CutieCrab
by Jen on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Catholics are Christians....  If you believe Jesus is the Son of God, you are a Christian. With that being said, I think people should marry whom ever they'd like, its none of my business.

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM
3 moms liked this

What is the need for a marriage license then if you're going to get "married" by a religious figure?

Quoting Anonymous:

While I am Christain and believe marriage is between one man and one woman. However, marriage is a religious ceremony done by a Pastor/Preacher/ Priest/Rabbi etc.....

If a religious leader does not preform the ceremony, like a JP does the service, then it is a civil union not a marriage. 

So being Christian I believe marriage is for a man and a woman, but a civil union should not be limited to a certain lifestyle or sexual orientation.

The civil union part is a legal contract, and unless we outlaw homosexuality then we shouldn't be able to say who can enter that contract and who can't. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM

to also make it legal, the civil union part is  only legal and not religious, that's sorta my point, any 2 consenting adults should be able to get a marriage license, but not everyone can or should be expected to preform the ceremony

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

What is the need for a marriage license then if you're going to get "married" by a religious figure?

Quoting Anonymous:

mrsdr.cheek
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Strange.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. But I don't get why people keep thinking the government is somehow going to make churches marry a gay couple? They're not. And I'm sure most gay couples wouldn't want to be married min a church that was against them anyways.

Quoting Anonymous:

to also make it legal, the civil union part is  only legal and not religious, that's sorta my point, any 2 consenting adults should be able to get a marriage license, but not everyone can or should be expected to preform the ceremony

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Um Catholics are Christians and I don't quite get the relation between switchin religions and getting married/divorced.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)