Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate my job to the point of possible mental breakdown

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies
1 mom liked this

I SHOULD be feeling very lucky. I'm self employed. I make my own hours. I'm paid ok (but not great). I have good earning POTENTIAL if I were to work a shit load more hours than I do. But at least that potential is there.

But I HATE this job. I hate it so much that I feel depressed when I'm not working because I can't enjoy my time off (knowing I have to return to work). I can't ever not work holidays or weekends because my clients need me most during those times.

I loved my job for 13 years. Now all of the sudden I can't even fathom retiring in this line of work and most of the time I barely make it through each day of work, then I cry myself to sleep at night. I don't tell my husband that. Most of the time I sneak out of bed or I won't let him in bed with me, because I don't want him to know that I wake up crying. 

Our family needs the money badly. So I can't quit. My husband pretty much demands a wife who wants to work. He doesn't want a SAHM. I don't really want to be a SAHM either. I want to earn a living but not doing something that's slowly putting me in the mental hospital.

I considered going back to school but I have a learning disability in MATH. All of the things I'm interested in are science based (nursing, NP, doctor, PA, etc). What should I do? :(

My interests include children, photography, medicine and anything creative. I'm a mom of four. I'm also incredibly talented musically and with my camera.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ecerka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM
What kind of job is it? And Why do you hate it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM

BUMP!

thetrollcat
by Meow on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

well you said you cant quit you cant change you cant this and cant that.

I have nothing offer.

VinVanMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Get a different job. Start doing pictures on Craigslist ? Lots of people hire someone that will come to them easier with kids. Music lessons for kids and adults?

AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Why don't you start a photography business?
OrientalLily
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel for you. I loathe my job as well.

If you want to go back to school, then do it. There are all sorts of resources out there to help you with math. I'm horrible at math. Absolutely horrible! But I promise you, with a little help, you can do math.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I work as a life coach for two very large companies, but also I am hired by individuals through some smaller companies or privately. It's like a very specialized counselor of sorts. The problem is the whole "nothing is taboo" to discuss in my field. People are absolutely nuts and most of my male clients are pretty disgusting. For example, I had a client call me the other day to discuss his sexual fantasies and why his partner won't honor them (and he then proceeded to go into gory details). I had another client call and talk about fears of STD and all his sexual experiences with men, women and (yikes) children. He proceeded to also explain the discharge coming from his penis. I turned him in to human resources for my company, by the way.

It used to NEVER be like this in my line of work. Clients would hire me to discuss problems with arguing teens or standard he/she cheated on me marital problems. It's a lot like counseling except I have to be much more creative and specific. I deal with clients all around the world so I am semi fluent in a few languages. I'm good at it but lately the clientele has gone downward, meaning the type of clients who hire me seem more...umm...I don't the word. But it's making me uncomfortable and depressed. It's freaking me out.

Quoting ecerka:

What kind of job is it? And Why do you hate it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM
What do you do that makes you so miserable?
valeriesmom1112
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Well if you like photography, kids and your good with a camera i would suggest photography? Just dont do it in a studio because than you work under someone else and you cant go off on idiot parents :) FYI i work at sears portrait studio and while yes i like it, lets just say some days i dont lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I'm a life coach.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you do that makes you so miserable?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN