Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

it pisses me off that...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
There isn't many charities or organizations that can send clothes to other countries that really need it more then our own country. It makes me mad that people donate clothes to thrift stores just so the thrift stores can benefit themselves and make money for them.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lendales_mommi
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Maybe it cost to much to send things overseas.So donate locally in THE UNITED STATES to teen shelters, drug treatment programs. Mom and Baby shelter, family shelters, adult shelters, chronic alcoholic programs,foster kids,big brother big sisters,YWCA (elimantes rascism and empowers women) Find something you are passionate about and donate there only plus it is a TAX write off. Do some research I am sure there is something in your area you can feel AWSEOME donating ur stuff to. Trust me someone will appreciate it:)

It also bugs me people "donate" to thrift storeas and they turn around and mark the prices up so high for somehting they got for FREE!!! But i work in Social Services and there is always a need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM

a lot of those thrift stores give back to the community though, either in job training or any other number of projects. It's not as if they are rolling in dough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this
All of our thrift shops here are affiliated with different organizations and the proceeds go to that organization. There's one for domestic violence, the humane society, the senior center, and 2 for children(one for abused children and one for a program for high risk children).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
You know what pisses me off. People who come on cm and post their self righteous rant and something and then does nothing when they can be doing something. Just saying.

If you really want to help find a organization over seas,contact them and find out where to send money food, clothing, or the likes.
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:03 AM
There is also a third store chain store 100% of the profits go to aids research. I think its called out of the closet of something like that. I would shop there if it wasn't a 45 min drive from me.

Quoting Anonymous:

All of our thrift shops here are affiliated with different organizations and the proceeds go to that organization. There's one for domestic violence, the humane society, the senior center, and 2 for children(one for abused children and one for a program for high risk children).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Um, they have these stores in a lot of cases to make jobs for people who could not otherwise work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Our local thrift store is non profit and benefits the battered women's shelter.
JLah
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Ummm you so know that the stores give a lot to charity?

Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this
You do realize that many of the people buy clothes from the thrift shops that we donate to, because they cannot afford to shop elsewhere. I get pissed at how people want to save the world, while turning a blind eye to the immense poverty, the hungry and the homeless in our own country.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I donate all of our clothing to a place here locally called God's Helping Hands. They let people come in once a month and pick out what they want that will fit into a large garbage bag. No charge at all. They have things like household items, sheets, even furniture if it's donated to them. I also will take our clothing to a place called The Bethany House, which is a battered women's shelter. Sometimes the woman have to run quick with their kids and don't get the opportunity to take anything except the clothes on their backs. I refuse to donate to Goodwill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN