Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Buy WHY can't they just have civil unions??!!! Why does it have to be "marriage?"

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM
  • 54 Replies
3 moms liked this

There are more than 1,000 federal laws that confer benefits of one sort or another on married couples — everything from tax savings to Social Security benefits, but DOMA excludes those benefits for legally married same-sex couples.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/27/175295410/doma-challenge-tests-federal-definition-of-marriage

Why can't we let the states decide and the people can vote their hearts?

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Won't gay marriage lead to polygamy and bestiality and pedophilia? 

This isn't even on  Congress's radar.  The crux of their support for DOMA is...

"the core purpose and defining characteristic of the institution of marriage always has been the creation of a social structure to deal with the inherently procreative nature of the male-female relationship".

This is not good legal argument, folks.  Lots of people don't have babies and they are allowed to marry.  Lots of people have babies who are not married.  A recent study said that children raised by hay and lesbian couples are not endangered.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby5678
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Oh dear Jesus...make these posts stoooooop!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Anyone of legal age should be able to marry who they want.  No goverment (state or federal) should tell them otherwise.

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:26 AM
6 moms liked this

I am so glad I live in New Hampshire. A state where religion doesn't impede on my civil rights as a human being.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I want to Marry a goat

Quoting Anonymous:

Anyone of legal age should be able to marry who they want.  No goverment (state or federal) should tell them otherwise.

CutieCrab
by Jen on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

People should marry whomever they'd like.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM
3 moms liked this

My wife and two of my kids attended a marraige equality vigill last night... our love and our 14 year relationship does not take away from the sanctity of YOUR marraige.  If all issues of civil rights were left to the voters, we would still be in Jim Crow... the time for  equality is now...

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this

My neighbors are a gay couple that has lived together for over 40 years. Now that's love. How many of you can honestly say you or your parents(well I can but I know its not the norm) have been in one committed loving relationship that long?

They deserve to walk down the aisle and get married if that's their choice.

Who are we to say they cant? What right do we have to determine this is wrong? Our constitution separates religion from our government. Its time we put that to the test.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM

This is a stupid argument. She wrote WHO they want not WHAT. a goat is not a human being capable of loving another human.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wany to Marry a ghoat

Quoting Anonymous:

s.osborne
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM

That would be AWESOME!

Quoting Anonymous:

I wany to Marry a ghoat

Quoting Anonymous:

maxswolfsuit
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Get real.

You don't know an 18 year old goat!

Quoting Anonymous:

I wany to Marry a ghoat

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)